Director of University Counseling Office - Vanke Meisha Academy - China
This is a great opportunity for a Director of University Counseling Office for Vanke Meisha Academy (VMA) serving 10th – 12th grade in China. This school is managed by the administration of Shenzhen Middle School, one of the top 10 high schools in China, and is funded by the largest residential real estate developer in the world, the publicly traded Vanke Group. Shenzhen is a large, young, and vibrant city located near beaches and other sites for leisure. Despite its relative youth, the city is a bustling global metropolis with its own stock exchange and a population of 15 million. Furthermore, it is only 30 minutes away from the global financial and cultural metropolis of Hong Kong, which offers all western amenities including food, nightlife, and cultural sites. The school is in its third year and aims to prepare students to succeed in the international university arena.
The Director of University Counseling Office is responsible for developing, managing, and maintaining a guidance and college counseling program that ensures all students have access to the knowledge that will make them competitive applicants to academically demanding four-year colleges and universities. In addition, the Director of University Counseling Office is responsible for working with the counseling staff and school faculty to motivate students to take on an academically challenging and intellectually fulfilling course schedule and to participate in activities that help to foster interpersonal development, collaborative skills, and strength of character. The Director of University Counseling Office is expected to uphold VMA’s mission of cultivating students with an acute awareness and appreciation of their Chinese heritage, a globally minded outlook, and the leadership skills to unite individuals across cultures. Finally, the Director of University Counseling Office is expected to build relationships with universities to expand the range of learning experiences available to VMA’s diverse student population and to inform VMA’s growing academic and extracurricular programs.
Under the general supervision of the site Principal, the Director of University Counseling Office will:
- Lead the counseling department in analyzing student aptitude and achievement assessments to help students evaluate their interests, skills and abilities in deciding their career choice, then assist students in identifying program courses to match their aspirations;
- Work with the counseling department to set effective norms and procedures for keeping students on target for graduation through ongoing student conferences to reinforce areas of strength and identify areas of growth;
- Stay abreast of trends international admissions trends to provide staff and faculty development for the counseling department, VMA’s academic program, and VMA’s extracurricular programs;
- Serve as the primary representative and point of contact between VMA and all colleges and universities;
- Manage the daily, weekly, and monthly progress of college counseling targets;
- Collaborate with department heads to ensure that the depth and rigor of VMA’s coursework is clearly communicated to colleges and universities;
- Collaborate with the admissions and marketing departments to develop promotional materials that communicate the strength and comprehensiveness of VMA’s college counseling program;
- Develop presentations and workshops for students, parents, faculty, and administration about planning for university enrollment, university options, university requirements, and determining career choices;
- Participate in weekly update meetings with school leaders;
- Organize regular check-ins with faculty regarding special-needs students;
- Build the capacity of students to set yearly goals, develop action plans to meet these goals, monitor their progress and identify effective strategies to achieve future career goals with success and satisfaction;
- Manage and identify the resources required for the college counseling program;
- Oversee the academic, career, and personal social development of students so they are successful in their current educational experiences and prepared for university success;
- Intervene with effective interventions when students are off-track in academic progress or personal and/or social development;
- Advise students and parents about Vanke Meisha Academy programs and, when applicable, arrange dual/concurrent enrollment in Advanced Placement courses to prepare students to successfully master the rigor of postsecondary education;
- Assist students in developing exemplary academic portfolios for university submission, which includes advising and reviewing their resumes, application letters, and applications to ensure inclusion of academic strengths and achievements, personal attributes, community service, and extra-curricular activities;
- Is knowledgeable and current in university admission requirements, application procedures, and admission openings in major universities overseas and advises students accordingly. May write reference letters for students;
- Track student acceptance in universities and highlights this accomplishment using various media resources;
- Build and nurture relationships with overseas reputable university admission counselors and alumni associations and maintain ongoing communication to provide a gateway for graduating Vanke Meisha Academy students;
- Arrange for yearly recruiting visits by admission representatives and promotes Vanke Meisha Academy to overseas universities;
- Meet with students and parents to discuss university options and requirements and provide resources as needed;
|Shenzhen , China|
|Minimum 3 years preferred|
|Director/Principal, Licensed Teacher, College/University Faculty, Office/Administration Staff, School Health and Welfare Staff|
|Gr. 10, Gr. 11, Gr. 12|
Principal Job Benefits
Qualifications & Requirements
|Education or psychology preferred|
Required Application Materials and Interview Process
Three rounds of online interviews conducted via GoToMeeting online interface platform.
In addition to submitting a resume that includes position dates, please include three letters of references and phone numbers so the references can be contacted. Reference letters are accepted if written in the last 3 years. Must have a letter from your current evaluator.
One of the world's most powerful nations, China's cultural contributions have influenced history and human development for thousands of years. Teach Away offers ESL teaching jobs in reputable language schools as well as licensed teaching jobs across China.
|Renminbi (yuan) (¥)|
|Varied: wet/dry seasons|
|Land area - 3.7 million sq. miles (9.6 million sq. km)|