Elementary School Visual Arts Teacher
- Licensed Teacher
- 5 years of teaching experience
- Visual Arts
- Teaching Credential/License
- Master’s degree in Education highly preferred
- Proficiency in the Arabic language preferred but not required (willingness to take classes leading to proficiency)
We offer a competitive salary in line with international standards, a generous benefits package and ongoing meaningful personal and professional development opportunities.
Reporting to: Elementary School Principal
Seeking talented innovative progressive Elementary School Visual Arts educator to develop an invigorating safe, supportive, and stimulating learning ecosystem in a state-of-the-art purpose-built facility. The ideal talented individual should be empowered to make the greatest positive impact on the community, embrace all learners within his or her learning environment, promote inquiry through questioning while employing the Socratic method, be principled, and be committed to the well-being of self and students.
Description of position
The International School of Kuwait (ISK) is seeking an inspirational Elementary School Visual Arts Teacher who can develop the vision and mission while implementing a rich curriculum, which lies beyond the traditional scope of education.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced elementary school teacher who has a record of ensuring high academic performance for his or her students in a diverse, language-rich environment. He or she will be skilled at forming and maintaining relationships with a broad range of individuals and across areas of difference such as cultural background, linguistic heritage, race, socio-economic status, and family structure. Elementary School Teachers are responsible for planning the indoor and outdoor classroom environments to provide a positive, creative and stimulating context for learning and teaching built on a climate of trust and teamwork by being fair, consistent, caring, respectful, and enthusiastic. Prospective teachers should be passionate to work in this incredibly diverse community with cultural competence and placing an emphasis on integrity, well-being, inquiry, empowerment, inclusivity is a requirement.
The duties and responsibilities of an ISK Elementary School Visual Arts Teacher, include:
- Following the School’s philosophy of child development to promote the physical, social, cognitive, emotional, and spiritual growth of students
- Planning and executing a clearly defined environment that is arranged to promote independence, foster decision-making, and encourage initiative and involvement
- Creating dedicated learning centers for dramatic and imaginative play, block building, art, language, and mathematical thinking
- Creating a classroom that promotes and reflects inquiry of the world in which the students live
- Creating displays that document the students’ learning process and creativity
- Observing the students and documenting their progress to plan further learning and to evaluate and assess their development
- Engaging students in learning by using a variety of contemporary teaching strategies to meet individual learning needs
- Supporting and enhancing student learning through the use of digital integration and technology
- Having daily discussions with members of the teaching team along with scheduled weekly team meetings to coordinate work and strengthen collaboration
- Establishing an inspiring, respectful, positive, safe student-centered environment that is conducive to learning
- Developing and using a variety of formative and summative assessment strategies to guide teaching and learning, while catering to individual students’ needs
- Providing meaningful and constructive, honest and regular feedback to students about their learning and progress
- Keeping parents informed of children’s progress by maintaining records of academic performance, attendance, and participation
- Reporting on all elements of student development at student-parent-teacher conferences
- Encouraging parent involvement by inviting the parents to the class and working closely with them on their child’s development
- Developing and presenting lesson plans by using a variety of teaching models (Pathways to Teaching) and techniques (Pathways to Learning)
- Maintaining good disciplinary order and child safety standards in the classroom, on the school’s campus, and while on bus and vigilance duties
- Maintaining a safe, secure, and healthy educational environment on campus and educational visits
- Updating professional knowledge by attending regular faculty meetings, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining professional networks, and participating in professional organizations that result in enhancement of student learning
- Using the school’s student information system to keep and maintain records and to facilitate communication
- Ensuring the classroom physical layout maximizes learning and collaboration while providing a safe and nurturing environment
- Facilitating learning through a range of strategies, in individual, small, and large group settings in a positive and differentiated learning climate
- Participating in the implementation and review of the curriculum
- Taking on ad hoc tasks as negotiated by the Elementary School Principal
- Maintaining a commitment to professional ethics, international-mindedness, and the school’s vision, mission, and core values
- Aligning student assessment with expected learning outcomes and the school’s Assessment Policy
- Supporting all school policies and procedures
- Leading community initiatives to develop and build a sense of equity and inclusion within the school while maintaining a strong sense of community among staff, parents, and students
Application for position
All applicants in the talent pool must provide a Letter of Interest that addresses the duties and responsibilities for the desired position. In addition, a curriculum vitae/ résumé must accompany the Letter of Interest and three references must be provided, one of which must be the applicant’s current employer. References will not be contacted until a firm Offer of Employment is made.
For teaching positions: Philosophy of Teaching will need to accompany all CVs/ Résumés.
Al Ekhlas International Education and the International School of Kuwait are committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people and expect the same from all of its employees. All new employees will be subject to enhanced pre-employment clearance, including identity checks, criminal background checks, qualification checks, and employment checks to include exploration of any gaps in employment history and two satisfactory employment checks.
THE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF KUWAIT (ISK)
Mahboula (American inspired curriculum)
Sabah Al Salem (British National inspired curriculum)
The International School of Kuwait (ISK) will open in September, 2020. The School will be located in two locations: the Mahboula Campus (American inspired curriculum) and the Sabah Al Salem Campus (British National inspired curriculum). ISK Mahboula will be a modern state of the art, 29,400 square meter facility. ISK Sabah Al Salem will be a modern state of the art, 29,500 square meter facility. The two schools are part of the Al Ekhlas International Educational Group (AIE), which was launched in April, 2019. The AIE boasts 12 schools and 18, 000 plus students in its network, across Kuwait, Egypt, Muscat and soon to be London and Boston. The development of ISK started in March, 2019 under the auspices of the International Schools Director. The ISK Mahboula Campus is set to be completed in August, 2020 for its first group of students to enter in September, 2020. The building on the Sabah Al Salem Campus was built in 2017 and will undergo state of the art renovations to meet the educational needs of the students and faculty again for its first group of students to enter in September, 2020. For the Academic Year 2020-21, ISK Mahboula will be accepting students from KG1 (age 3.6 on 1st September) to Grade 10 (age 15 on 1st September); and ISK Sabah Al Salem will be accepting students in its FS1 (age 3.6 on 1stSeptember) to Year 10 (age 14 on 1st September), the first year of IGCSE. Both Schools will offer students the opportunity to study through to Grade 12 (AY 2021/22) and Year 13 (AY 2023/24). There will be 220-employees needed to deliver a very polished and quality product to its students, of which 140 will be educators.
The School will be a split campus offering a world-class education to all students. Each curriculum, campus dependent, will be inspired and strongly influenced by American or British Standards, but will also have its own unique flair. Students starting in Kindergarten will benefit from a curriculum that inspires them to harness and pursue their individual talents while still benefiting from a holistic liberal arts education. The customized learning ecosystem will encompass deep-language learning, visual and performing arts, scientific and mathematical problem-based learning, well-being and mindfulness, all using an innovative approach we call FUSION! We aim to create the quintessential renaissance student, who will be able to thrive in any context after graduation.
Live-to-Give, our service learning programme, aims to instill in all ISK students the importance of giving back to their local, national and global communities. We are all guardians of this unique environment we call planet Earth, and the embedded ethos is that we must each take our responsibility seriously to have the greatest impact.
The School had already expressed interest and has completed the initial phases of applications for candidacy for a range of accrediting bodies and academic affiliations such as: New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC); British Schools in the Middle East (BSME); Cambridge University Press (CUP); Cambridge Assessment International Education (CIE); Pearson (formerly Edexcel); GL Assessment; and The Educational Collaborative for International School (ECIS) just to name a few.
Licensed teachers can teach in Kuwait's private international schools for the chance to experience life in the Middle East while earning an excellent salary and benefits. Hot and sunny year-round, Kuwait's welcoming residents and beautiful weather make for an incredible experience teaching overseas.