Elementary/Middle School Academics Division Lead
- Elementary, Middle School, High School
- District/Regional Level Administrator, Director/Principal, Licensed Teacher, College/University Faculty, University Graduate, ESL Instructor
- 3 years of teaching experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or above from top university (Master’s Degree in Education from an accredited educational institution preferred)
- Fluent English speaker
- Commitment to living and working in Japan for 2-3 yrs.
- Familiarity with the US and UK academic experience
- Minimum of three (3) years of successful teaching experience working with elementary and/or middle school students.
- Experience with after school tutoring and test prep is preferred
Our ideal candidate:
- Is results-oriented
- Can manage their time effectively
- Can adjust support based on tutors’ and students’ individualized personalities and needs
- Identifies gaps in own knowledge/skill and seeks support
- Delegates tasks to others when appropriate
- Has excellent interpersonal skills (interacting with students, parents, and tutors)
- Has both clear and concise oral and written communication
- Is self-driven and has the capability and confidence to interface effectively with senior leaders and multiple stakeholders
- Can work independently to solve problems
- Has strong business acumen, excellent communication skills, influencing skills, and planning/project management skills
- Thrives in a fast paced, rigorous environment with changing priorities
- Has an entrepreneurial mindset and is interested in taking charge of building a division from the ground up
- Competitive compensation package
- Bonuses based on performance and company growth
- 20 days of paid time off per year
- Joining a growing bootstrapped company with a lot of potential for growth
- Autonomy to implement ideas and have a significant impact
About Tokyo Academics:
We are Tokyo’s leading academic tutoring, test preparation, and college admissions counseling company, providing world-class education in the heart of Tokyo. TA is the passion project of a constellation of teachers, researchers, and academics in Tokyo, Japan. Since 2012, we’ve evolved from a few university friends tutoring at a tiny restaurant in Tokyo into an organization of academic, test prep, and college admissions experts, helping students to realize and reach their potential and capture the opportunities of the future.
Our tutors work with English-speaking, international students from 1st grade through 12th grade (and some post-graduate students), in various academic subjects, ranging from Latin and Debate to Computer Science and AP Physics. Most of our team is in Japan and in the Philippines, but we are growing our US-based team as well. Most of our students are located in Japan, but we also have students in the US, Europe, and other parts of Asia.
Over the last 8 years, we have grown consistently year after year. We are also constantly expanding our line of services. We started with just private test prep tutoring, and now we offer academic tutoring, group classes, online learning, college admissions counseling, boarding school admissions counseling, coding classes, and student research (also running one of the only international high school research conferences in the world). We are hoping to expand our services beyond Tokyo, to other parts of Japan, Asia, and the world.
About the role:
We are looking for an Elementary School/Middle School team leader to create and manage a new division at Tokyo Academics.
This position is best suited for a self-driven individual who thrives in a fast-paced environment. This is an opportunity to really buy into the vision of a young and growing company and become a part of the core team in the long run.
What you will be responsible for:
- Recruiting and training a team of elementary/middle school tutors
- Managing a team of elementary/middle school tutors
- Conducting diagnostic lessons and sales pitches with potential parents/students
- Creating systems for measuring, tracking, reporting, and improving both teacher and student performance
- Supervising staff and working closely and collaboratively with them to increase the overall effectiveness and efficiency of instructional delivery to significantly increase student achievement
- Implementing processes and systems for strategic planning, data driven decision making, leadership coaching, professional development, and community engagement
- Developing, improving, and maintaining training manuals and systems
- Creating and maintaining organizational standards for all relevant curricula and standardized tests (for ex: SSAT, MAP test)
- Standardizing pedagogy to allow for individual flexibility
- Ensuring up-to-date alignment with both local and international standards
- Delivering reports and making recommendations to management, staff, students, and parents
- Ensuring the efficient and effective use of human, fiscal, and other resources
- Analyzing and reviewing course materials to determine the effectiveness of private lessons, group classes, and teacher training sessions
- Teaching up to 10 hours per week of one-on-one lessons or group classes
- Can work flexible schedule, ideally available 5 days a week during regular business hours (10am-7pm Japan Standard Time)
Who we are
TA is the passion project of a constellation of teachers, researchers, and academics in Tokyo, Japan. Since 2012, we’ve evolved from a few university friends tutoring at a tiny restaurant in Tokyo into an organization of academic, test prep, and college admissions experts, helping students to realize and reach their potential and capture the opportunities of the future.
We believe in a world where individuals have the capability to learn anything, the confidence to tackle any challenge, and the community support to reach success.
Our mission is to guide and teach anyone with the desire to learn while establishing and maintaining world-class standards for education and mentorship. We hope that our team not only teaches students but inspires them to push themselves outside of their comfort zone and beyond their limits, and nothing is more exciting to us than seeing our students achieve their goals!
Teaching in Japan continues to be one of the most popular options for English teachers as well as licensed classroom teachers. One of the world's most technologically advanced countries, Japan also maintains a culture of old-world tradition and appreciation for beauty.