IGCSE and A-Level Biology Teacher
- Elementary, Middle School, High School
- Licensed Teacher
- 2 years of teaching experience
- Middle & Secondary Education
- Teaching Credential/License
- Qualified Teacher Status achieved in one of the following countries: United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, or the USA.
- Experience in teaching Secondary Biology using a UK-style curriculum across the Secondary age range up to and including AS and A-Level (ages 11-18).
- A positive work ethic and a high level of self-motivation; the willingness to act as a role model and mentor, to students and colleagues.
- A passion for teaching EAL/ESL learners in a mixed ability environment.
- Cultural sensitivity and intercultural communication competence; the ability to relate positively to colleagues who were raised in a distinctly different culture.
- Perseverance and a willingness to find complex practical solutions to everyday problems; patience, emotional stability, and a positive outlook.
- A commitment to being an excellent ambassador for our school within the Baku community.
Also desirable would be:
- Experience in teaching Secondary Chemistry using a UK-style curriculum across the Secondary age range up to and including AS and A-Level (ages 11-18).
- Experience in leading personal challenge and development programs such as the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award; experience in leading charity and community outreach projects.
- Experience in leading appraisal and/or staff training; experience in school management.
- Specific EAL / ESL experience or qualifications.
- Experience of working in an international setting within a team that has a high proportion of host-country nationals.
- Experience of living and working in the post-Soviet space.
- Proficiency in Azerbaijani, Russian or Turkish language.
- A highly competitive net salary
- A performance bonus
- A travel and relocation allowance
- Fully equipped accommodation
- Comprehensive medical insurance for the employee and up to 2 dependents as standard
- A school laptop
- Lunch in the school canteen
- Free tuition for up to 2 dependent children of any age as a standard
We seek a qualified and self-motivated Biology Teacher with IGCSE and A-Level experience, who can perform effectively in an exciting and challenging cross-cultural environment.
This is an opportunity to join a great team and make a genuine difference, educating the upcoming elite of a young country with a promising future.
The key duties can be summarised as follows:
- Fulfilling a full-time teaching timetable: the successful applicant will teach Secondary Biology to children of a range of abilities from across the Secondary age range (Grades 5-12, ages 10-18).
- Modelling teaching and team teaching: the successful applicant will be passionate about supporting their colleagues’ professional development in various ways.
- Supporting school events, the extra-curricular program, and other initiatives: the successful applicant should be a team player willing to assist with various school projects and initiatives.
The position will suit a committed, enthusiastic teaching professional possessing the correct blend of moral purpose, teaching, and interpersonal and intercultural communication skills.
MTK school is located in Baku, Azerbaijan, and moved to a state-of-the-art campus in the heart of the country’s capital in August 2018. A prestigious local private school educating the children of the country’s business elite, MTK is partway through a transition to becoming a bilingual, international-style school that offers a blended English and Azerbaijani instruction curriculum.
The school is comprised of a bilingual Preschool for ages 2-6, a bilingual Primary School for ages 6-10 (Grades 1-4), and a three-stream Secondary school for ages 10-18 (Grades 5-12), which incorporates an international stream (offering Cambridge IGCSE and AS/A-Levels) and two local curriculum streams where the language of instruction is Azerbaijani and Russian respectively. The pupil roll is around 600 in total.
The successful applicant will work in close cooperation with predominantly local staff, supported by four expatriate teachers who discharge different subject-teaching and leadership responsibilities within the International Stream: Secondary.
MTK employs an expatriate staff comprised of ten fully-certified teachers across the Preschool, Primary School and Secondary School and an expatriate Executive Principal who is a UK national.
How to apply:
The following should be included as attachments:
- a concise covering email, stating the role for which you are applying and core reasons why you are suited to the role
- a well-presented curriculum vitae, including full name, recent photograph, clear details of relevant qualifications, an accurate, clear chronology of teaching experience (with all gaps in employment since your initial teacher training accounted for), and, finally, a personal statement/statement of teaching philosophy.
MTK closely follows safer recruitment practices and all applicants are subject to rigorous reference and background/police checks.
MTK International School is an international centre of excellence within an Azerbaijani context, delivering an education that will fully prepare students to take their places in the modern world.
Our centrally located campus provides a world-class learning environment, equipped with modern educational resources, a powerful IT infrastructure and the full range of on-site facilities required by any tier-one school.
Our school curriculum focuses on personal, academic, and 21st-century learning strategies that will prepare children for the world of tomorrow, at home, or abroad. Focusing solely on academic achievement is no longer sufficient to guarantee success; children and adults need a broader range of skills and knowledge to call upon in a fast-changing world. The MTK International School’s Curriculum provides a wide variety of studies designed to foster the development of intellectual growth, physical and emotional health, creativity and an empathetic spirit.
We currently provide an exceptional education to children aged 2 to 17, offering the full range of Preschool, Primary, and Secondary education.
Our mission is to help every child fulfill his or her potential, to succeed in a fast-changing, exciting 21st-century working environment and also to live a happy, fulfilled life as a part of the Baku and wider global community. Our school ensures that its students reach their full academic potential whilst also developing a broad range of skills, talents, and abilities.
Teach in Azerbaijan to experience a truly cross continental nation, situated at the border of Eastern Europe and the Middle East. Stunning world heritage sites, natural wonders, and a cosmopolitan boom make Azerbaijan a wonderful place to teach and explore.