Secondary English Teacher
- Middle School, High School
- Licensed Teacher, University Graduate, ESL Instructor
- 2 years of teaching experience
- Bachelors of English/English Education/Secondary English Education
- Teaching Credential/LicenseTESL/TEFL Certificate over 100 hoursTESL/TEFL CertificateOther Certification
Bachelors of English + ESL certificate of equivalent
- Medical insurance
- 50 % discount on tuition fees for two children
- Housing allowance provided
- Annual airfare Allowance
Educate and instruct students between the ages of 13 and 18 under a prescribed curriculum to develop students’ literacy and numeracy skills in a variety of subjects; English. The secondary teacher is required to foster the social and emotional growth of students.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support, uphold and articulate the mission and vision of Al Shomoukh International School.
- Support and adhere to the code of conduct, policies and procedures of Al Shomoukh International School.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding school matters.
- Contribute to educating students according to their educational needs and attainment potential.
- Apply and follow-up on approved disciplinary interventions. Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible.
- Organize the classroom displays and learning resources.
- Plan and implement lessons following the prescribed curriculum.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible.
- Instruct through lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in one or more subjects such as English, mathematics, or social studies.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students.
- Incorporate varied and differentiated teaching. Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Assess, evaluate and assign appropriate work for students.
- Prepare, administer, and grade tests and assignments to evaluate students' progress.
- Invigilate examinations and adhere to examination rules.
- Prepare cover work for other staff in case of absence. Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Collaborate with other teachers and administrators in the development, evaluation, and revision of secondary school programs.
- Maintain effective communication with all stakeholders including parents, students, colleagues and Heads of the Department. Participate in school assemblies, staff, group or other meetings.
- Contribute to Individual Education Plan conferences and reviews of officially identified students. Ensure a contact book is updated daily in appropriate cases. Collaborate with parents, the Special Educational Needs Coordinator and others supporting the students.
- Contribute to developing and implementing the Individual Education Plan or Individual Behavioral Plan of identified students.
- Participate in continuing professional development and assessment of needs. Enhance high standards of professional practice through peer review and observation.
- Provide extra-curricular activity once per week after-school. Provide opportunities for education outside the classroom.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records; class attendance and student progress.
- Engage in personal and professional development to ensure a thorough knowledge of all aspects relating to the field of education.
- Uphold professional integrity at all times, discretion, confidentiality, loyalty and trust while performing all duties. Display a high level of professional competence in all areas of responsibility.
- Attend school sponsored activities. Use appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parental involvement.
- Sponsor extracurricular activities such as clubs, student organizations, and academic contests.
- Coordinate with the Head of Trips & Activities to plan students’ trips.
- Perform administrative duties such as assisting in school libraries, hall and cafeteria monitoring, and bus loading and unloading.
- Establish expectations for students, staff and parents. Aim toward achieving and maintaining an excellent rating from the Ministry of Education and other relevant authorities while making positive use of data available from the management information system.
- Maintain a work schedule that maximizes availability to the school, students and families.
- Communicate with parents via the parent portal on a regular basis and you must respond back to parents’ messages within 24 hours.
- Ensure to upload students daily and weekly assessment results onto iCampus before the end of the week.
- Required to attend duties assigned by the Head of Supervision.
Al Shomoukh International School (SIS) is a new KG to Grade 12 global school in Muscat. Established by Global Education Services (GES) the school opened for the 2015/16 school year in Al Hail.
A new school has been constructed and, combined with an international curriculum and excellent staff, the school intends to become one of the outstanding international schools in Muscat. It will draw students from both the local Omani and expatriate community. Both will be rewarded with an education experience of the highest order.
The school will be a beacon of international educational excellence for local and expatriate male and female students using English as the medium of instruction. Classes will be a maximum of 25 students.
The school offers the National English Curriculum. At senior levels, i.e. Year 10 on, the school will offer and prepare students for UK and US examinations including IGCSE, A level, and SATs. The school will ensure that all local Omani curriculum requirements are met to obtain an Omani Graduation Certification. At our school all can achieve.
Teach Away offers teaching jobs in Oman, ranging from private international schools to language schools throughout the country. There is a definitive focus on teaching English in Oman because it is one of the fastest-growing countries in the Middle East. Explore an engaging culture while earning a competitive, tax-free salary and notable benefits.