School Nurse - Matanuska–Susitna Borough School District
- Provides temporary and emergency care to ill or injured students
- Evaluates the students’ total health and developmental status through comprehensive health assessment
- Provides communicable disease control through administration of immunizations, tuberculin skin testing, exclusions for noncompliance and communicable disease, and authorizes readmission to school
- Dispenses, monitors, and records all students’ medications for acute and chronic health problems, consults with the physician and parent regarding recommendation for medication adjustments or changes when needed
- Provides health counseling for students, families, and staff to promote greater self-sufficiency and wellness, and in coping with health problems
- Participates as the health specialist on the Child Study Team to develop the health component of the Individual Education Plan
- Provides crisis intervention determining need for emergency referrals and providing on-going follow-up
- Schedules and assists with athletic physical examinations
- Organizes, coordinates, and/or teaches specific health programs and serves as a resource for health presentations as requested
- Provides inservice training for staff on specifics such as first-aid, C.P.R., child abuse and personal safety curriculum, AIDS, and other topics when requested
- Coordinates school and community health activities and serves as a liaison between home, school, and community
- Coordinates with the principal the necessary documentation and reporting of suspected child abuse and neglect to the Division of Family and Youth Services and the Health Services Coordinator
- Monitors assigned building to promote a safe and healthy school environment including auditing emergency equipment and working with the principal to evaluate emergency plans
- Determines and maintains health clinic inventory of equipment and supplies per health services guidelines
- Promotes a positive image of school district and positive public relations at all times
- Supports the development and maintenance and refinement of a school wellness program
- Other duties as assigned by principal and/or health services coordinator
|Palmer , Alaska|
|185 days/year, summers off|
|School Health and Welfare Staff|
|Preschool/Early Childhood, KG, Gr. 1, Gr. 2, Gr. 3, Gr. 4, Gr. 5, Gr. 6, Gr. 7, Gr. 8, Gr. 9, Gr. 10, Gr. 11, Gr. 12|
|USD 3899 - 5610|
MSBSD offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
Each Certified Teacher receives 4 paid personal leave days at the beginning of the year and accrues 1.33 sick leave days each month of employment.
MSBSD is a member of the State of Alaska Teachers Retirement System.
Qualifications & Requirements
|Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing|
Training and Experience (position requirements at entry): · Previous experience as a school nurse, community health nurse, or pediatric nurse preferred.
Licensing Requirements (position requirements at entry): Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing; Current Alaskan Registered Nurses License; Current CPR Instructor Certification (prefer American Heart Association); Current First-Aid Certification (prefer American Heart Association); Current EMT Certificate preferred.
Physical Requirements: Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.