For one of the oldest civilizations in the world, Egypt sure has maintained a great deal of mystique.
Known for its ancient myths, pyramids, and pharaohs, many teachers are surprised to learn that Cairo is known to have one of the best nightlife scenes in the world.
One thing’s for sure, Egypt is sure to fascinate.
So we’re sharing some interesting facts about ancient and modern Egypt to make you a bit more familiar with this exceptional country.
- Ancient Egyptians were pretty serious about beer. Many tombs were even equipped with brewers to make sure the deceased would travel into the afterlife with a healthy supply of beer. Beer also sufficed as payment for work: the workers who built the pyramids were paid in 1 gallon of beer per day.
- In Ancient Egypt, women often had more rights than men, including the right to own property, the right to divorce, and the right to initiate business deals. Famously, the last active pharaoh was Cleopatra.
- The calendar as we know it was invented by Egyptians: 365 days divided into 12 months. The calendar helped to predict the Nile’s annual flooding.
- For math teachers, the oldest book about mathematics came from Egypt in 1650 BC and it was called The Entrance into the Knowledge of All Existing Things and All Obscure Secrets.
- Known for its pyramids, Egypt has neither the tallest pyramid in the world nor the most pyramids in the world: the tallest belongs to Mexico and Sudan leads Egypt in the most pyramids per country.
- The Great Pyramid of Giza still has unexplored passageways. It’s also the only remaining ancient wonder of the world.
- Cairo is truly the city that never sleeps and Egyptians are typically reported to have among the latest bedtimes in the world.
- Greater Cairo is the largest city in Africa and the Middle East, with an estimated population of 22 million and approximately 500 sq km.
- Cairo has two football teams that are fierce rivals, but they share a stadium.
- There are 5 million Facebook users in Egypt, the most of any Middle Eastern country.
If you’re interested in seeing what jobs we currently have posted in Egypt, take a look at our job board for more details!