English Track High School Science Teacher
- High School
- Licensed Teacher
- Teaching Credential/LicenseTESL/TEFL Certificate over 100 hoursTESL/TEFL CertificateTESL/TEFL Diploma LevelOther Certification
- Demonstrate strong positive commitment toward school improvement
- Demonstrate commitment to science education at the middle/high school level including innovations and best practices.
- Help develop, maintain and follow an established math grades 10-12 curriculum including designing units to support it
- Knowledgeable about the American-style education system and how secondary level classroom instruction integrates into it
- Comfortable working in a school that integrates Chinese and American style educational philosophies
- Comfortable with computers for school-related purposes including data management, Rubicon Atlas, email, and MS Office programs
- Fluent in both oral and written English at a professional standard
- Desire to actively engage in professional development opportunities as provided by the school or through individual initiative
- Flexible in adapting to a multi-cultural environment with school community members of many nationalities
Education and Work Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required in secondary education or a bachelor’s degree in a related field is considered.
- Eligible for a valid teaching license/certificate.
- At least 2 years full-time teaching science in a regular middle/high school setting.
- Evidence of current relevant professional development especially in science instruction.
- High school level Chemistry, Physics, and Advanced Placement (AP) teaching experience is preferred.
- Home Visit Travel Allowance
- Additional 12,000 RMB/ year to subsidize for travel. Paid 1,000 RMB monthly
- Relocation Allowance
- Moving from overseas: A one-off relocation allowance will be payable in Chinese local currency RMB, following the guideline of 6,000 RMB per single teacher and 12,000 RMB per family
- Moving from mainland China: 3,000 RMB per single teacher and 6,000 RMB per family
- Housing and housing allowances
- Housing allowance will be provided.
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacations in Winter, Summer and other paid holidays based on national statutory holidays’ arrangement. Chinese statutory holidays applicable. Offered to all full-time staff.
- Health Insurance
- Worldwide coverage subject to individual choice, up to 100% direct billing at many hospitals around China.
- The school bears 90% of the MSH premium.
- Non-medical Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Catastrophic Health Insurance
- The school bears 90% of the MSH premium.
- Children’s SMIC School Tuition
- Contingent on meeting SMIC Admissions policy requirements. Subsidized tuition policy subject to annual review.
- Personal Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Emergency Leave
- Maternity/Paternity Leave
Provide instructional guidance to students in science (grades 9-12) while actively contributing to our students and school through roles expected of a holistic professional educator in a dynamic system dedicated to honor, excellence, community and joy.
Job Duties for Teaching and Learning
- Teach a minimum of 15 periods per week
- Teach students in grades 9 -12 as assigned
- Work on curriculum development, which includes preparing effective diverse lesson
- units based on the school’s curriculum formats using the Understanding by Design (UbD)
- Collaborate with Science Department teachers through fostering a team focused department
- Design authentic assessments and measure their effectiveness in meeting curricular goals
- Promote our “Expected Student Learning Results” (ESLRs): English oral and written communication skills, collaboration, self-directed learning, and critical and creative thinking
- Maintain and update timely student records including grading (homework, grade books, progress reports, report cards, student attendance, and other required documents)
- Be actively involved in (at least two) extra-curricular activities as a faculty sponsor/ advisor/coach/helper/school committee member
- Actively fulfill assigned supervision duties (i.e., study hall, supervising students during open computer lab times, lunch/morning duty, etc.)
- Able to use effective ESL strategies in working with students to develop proficiency in English
- Work closely with parents/guardians through providing feedback on progress, answering questions, and being an educational partner where possible
- Proactively meet and communicate with parents/guardians, students and other teachers when necessary to develop interventions for students with academic, emotional/behavioral or other needs
- Serve as a substitute teacher when needed
- Take an active role in required meetings (departmental; grade level; committees, faculty; etc.)
- Assist with additional duties as assigned
BJ SMIC Private School is a Preschool through 12th Grade institution. Currently, there are 1650 students and 260 full time teachers from 16 nationalities. The School stresses each student’s holistic development and also emphasizes the importance of moral integrity in education.
As we expand into more classes, we continue to hire qualified staff throughout the year. Overall, we have one of the lowest rates of teacher replacement you will find in China, especially among local staff, but also among our expat teachers. Our teachers are committed to their students, and enjoy deep friendships with their coworkers.
Administrators make every effort to place teachers where they can refine their teaching skills and develop professionally, with opportunities for advancement to those that desire it.
Working for a growing company with $1.7 billion in annual revenue has definite benefits; you never have to worry about delayed salary payments or layoff's due to budget cuts. SMIC Private School offers salaries more than sufficient to cover the low cost of living in Yizhuang.
Living in Yizhuang is getting easier every year as well. Whether, cycling, driving, taking the bus or subway, Yizhuang is less congested and easy to get around. Two new shopping plaza's have opened nearby, Lippo Plaza and Creative Life Plaza (with a Sam's club, Papa John's, Starbucks, and bilingual movies). McDonalds, KFC, Subway, and a half dozen pizza restaurants serve Western food nearby. On weekends, teachers fellowship in each other's homes or attend a nearby church, the subway and express buses reach the downtown expatriate fellowships and districts (CBD, Sanlitun) in less than 1 hour.
Yizhuang has many square miles of parks, lakes, rivers and natural areas to enjoy, and Decathlon has plenty of international-standard sporting goods. There are many volunteer opportunities nearby as well, including New Day Foster Home and Shepherd's Field Children's Home within a short drive.
One of the world's most powerful nations, China's cultural contributions have influenced history and human development for thousands of years. Teach Away offers ESL teaching jobs in reputable language schools as well as licensed teaching jobs across China.