Teach in Senegal
Teaching jobs in Senegal are a great way to teach abroad in Africa, allowing teachers to soak up all that Africa has to offer. Teaching jobs in Senegal also offer comprehensive salary and benefits.
Teaching Jobs in Senegal
Teaching in Senegal comes with a competitive salary; qualified teachers can expect to earn upwards of $26,000 USD per year, depending on qualifications and experience. In addition to a salary that allows teachers to live a comfortable lifestyle, teachers will also receive a number of excellent benefits. Teachers can expect to receive return airfare, health insurance, tuition allowance for dependants, and allowances for settling in. Most teaching jobs in Senegal also offer a renewable contract, with contract extension bonus.
Apply to Teach in Senegal
To teach in Senegal, most international school positions will require 2 years of relevant teaching experience in order to qualify. As well, international schools in Senegal require that teachers are certified (i.e. licensed to teach in their home state, province, or region).
Living in Dakar, Senegal
On the coast of western Africa, Senegal is a country known for its rolling plains, nature reserves, and for beautiful coastal towns. Dakar is known for its hospitality, and as the largest city in Senegal, is also the most developed part of the country. Dakar has opened up considerably in the last 10 years, with daily flights to and from major international cities around the world. With delicious Senegalese cuisine, nearby islands for day trips, awe-inspiring mosques and monuments, and many sightseeing destinations, Senegal has plenty to offer.
TEFL Certification for Private School Teachers
Many private schools in Senegal require applicants to possess a TEFL certificate. The University of Toronto’s TEFL Online Certificate can help you become a leading candidate for some of the top Senegalese private school positions.
Senegal at a Glance
Capital - Dakar
Language - French, Wolof, Soninke, Serer, Fula, Maninka, Jola
Population - 13,567,338
Currency - CFA franc (XOF)
Government - Semi-Presidential Republic
Major Religion - Islam
Climate - Tropical
Size - 196,712 km²
- The capital of Senegal is the city of Dakar.
- French is the official language of Senegal, however Wolof, Pulaar, Jola and Mandinka are spoken by many.
- Senegal gained independence from France in 1960.
- Folklore plays a big part in Senegalese culture, there are professional storytellers known as griots who are poets, musicians, entertainers and historians.
- The city of Saint-Louis is considered to be the jazz capital of West Africa.
- Some of the world’s most beautiful beaches are located in Senegal - particularly those at Cap Skiring.
- The Place de l’Obélisque is the central plaza of Dakar has been an important site for important moments of Senegal’s modern history.