Primary Class Teacher - Shanghai HD Bilingual - China
HD Shanghai is located in the City’s Songjiang district, widely regarded as the cultural root of the city of Shanghai itself. The School opened in August 2015, and will eventually grow to accommodate 1800 students aged 3-18. Work is currently under way on a new development phase, which will see the introduction of specialist upper-secondary teaching spaces and facilities, as well as boarding houses. Established on an impressive and imaginative campus, the School offers an outstanding bilingual education that blends the best of British with the best of Chinese. The curriculum allows students to access a broad and balanced learning experience – one in which tradition meets creativity, and East meets West.
HD Shanghai not only benefits from being part of the successful network of HD Schools in China (HD Ningbo, HD Beijing & HD Qingdao), but also from its strong relationship with Hurtwood House, our partner school in the UK. HD Shanghai draws on Hurtwood’s experience and expertise at providing an all-round education. Children not only achieve excellent academic results but also develop interests and skills to prepare them for the challenges of life beyond school. With this in mind, the curriculum at HD Shanghai offers a broad range of opportunities designed to develop intellectual growth, physical and emotional health, artistic endeavours, creativity and service to others.
The School is committed to fostering genuinely bilingual and bicultural students, enabling them to gain competency in Mandarin and English, as well as preparing them culturally for life in an increasingly interconnected world. The curriculum is taught using a dual-language immersion approach – students benefit from lessons delivered by native speakers of English and Chinese. As well as supporting students to become bilingual, the low pupil to teacher ratio enables HD Shanghai to deliver a highly personalised approach to learning. Further details of the unique HD Schools ethos are provided in the supporting document attached.
Class Teachers from Pre-School (aged 3) through to Year 4 (aged 8) have the responsibility for delivering the majority of the curriculum to their assigned class. Subject-specialist teachers enhance the overall learning experience for the children by the addition of a few specific lessons. An enthusiastic and committed team of Teaching Assistants support the Class Teachers.
The Class Teacher roles available present an outstanding opportunity to become part of the team that will establish HD Shanghai as a School that provides the best possible all-round education and care for every child.
Teaching and Learning
- To plan, prepare and deliver instructional activities that facilitate active learning experiences for all children
- To prepare the classroom environment for meaningful class activities
- To provide a variety of learning materials and resources
- To ensure that the classroom is an attractive orderly place where equipment and resources are well managed
- To have a thorough understanding of the purpose and aims of the HD Shanghai School’s educational ethos
- To always set high expectations, which inspire, motivate and challenge pupils
- To establish and communicate clearly the learning intentions for all activities
- To use all relevant technology to support understanding and development
- To identify and select different instructional resources and methods to meet the children’s varying needs
- To evaluate learning experiences and outcomes for children’s continual improvement
- To assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assessments in line with HD Shanghai’s policies
- To develop the best combination of British and Chinese approaches to deliver a personalised bi-lingual curriculum
- To ensure that an acceptable standard of children’s behaviour is clearly stated and consistently maintained
- To ensure that all children are treated with respect – fairly and equally
- To ensure outstanding pastoral care in line with HD Shanghai’s policies and expectations
Communication and Co-operation
- To work co-operatively and supportively with all members of staff
- To share information, ideas and resources with colleagues
- To develop supportive and productive relationships with parents
- To maintain accurate and complete records of children’s development
- To participate in departmental, school-based and parental meetings
- To share assessment data and ensure that it is appropriately archived
- To prepare required reports on children and their activities
- To participate in the supervisory duties shared by all members of staff
- To participate in the co-curricular life of the school
- To play a full part in the corporate life of the School
- To support the School’s image and profile in the community
|Shanghai , China|
|Preschool/Early Childhood, KG, Gr. 1, Gr. 2, Gr. 3, Gr. 4|
Qualifications & Requirements