Teach in India
Licensed teachers can find teaching jobs in India’s private international schools. Generally located in larger urban centers such as Mumbai, schools work within a number of different curricula, including UK, US, Montessori, and IB curriculum. Teachers will generally be required to have at least 1-2 years of experience teaching the relevant curriculum.
Teach in India
Teaching in India - Hiring
Hiring for ESL and English teaching jobs in India takes place year around for teaching positions in private international schools. Teaching abroad in India usually requires teachers to have at least 1-2 years of experience teaching a relevant curriculum.
Qualifications to teach in India
A Bachelor’s degree is required to teach abroad in India, as well, teachers must be native English speakers. Although not necessary, some private schools in India may require teachers to have a relevant teaching certificate such as a TEFL Certification. The University of Toronto’s TEFL Online Certification can equip you with the necessary skills and knowledge to land a job teaching English in India.
Visas for teachers in India
Those wanting to teach abroad in India will need to contact the Indian embassy before leaving on their journey abroad. Depending on the specific position, some schools may cover the costs associated with obtaining a work visa to teach in India, although this is dependent on the individual school and job posting.
Living in India
India is a large and diverse country with a great deal of regional variation. The majority of teachers who teach abroad in India’s private international schools will be located in Mumbai, India’s largest city. Home to an increasing number of professionals from all over the world, Mumbai is India’s most cosmopolitan urban location. Many teachers choose to rent furnished apartments at a reasonable cost. India’s cuisine, famous for its spices and seasoning, can take some getting used to for foreigners who aren’t accustomed to the heavy spices, but for many it is a culinary paradise. Mumbai also has any number of foreign restaurants to satisfy any tastes.
TEFL Certification for Private School Teachers
Many private schools in India require applicants to possess a TEFL certificate. The University of Toronto’s TEFL Online Certificate can help you become a leading candidate for some of the top Indian private school positions.
India at a Glance
Capital - New Delhi
Language - Hindi, English
Population - 1.2 billion
Currency - Indian Rupee (INR)
Government - Parliamentary constitutional republic
- India is officially known as the Republic of India.
- Many different languages are spoken in India. The main ones are Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, Marathi, Tamil, and Urdu.
- The name 'India' is derived from the River Indus, the valleys around which were the home of the early settlers. The Aryan worshippers referred to the river Indus as the Sindhu.
- The world's first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects.
- The 'Place Value System' and the 'Decimal System' were developed in India in 100 B.C.
- Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus are studies, which originated in India.