- All Levels
- Licensed Teacher, University Graduate, ESL Instructor
Potential Candidates Should:
- Be interested in a career as a teacher, not just a fun gap-year
- Demonstrate a background or interest in education
- Be motivated to improve continuously
- Be flexible
- Be friendly
- Remuneration will be 260,000 / month as a starting salary with increases based on experience, performance, and possible transition to permanent employment
- Furnished housing within walking/cycling distance at a reasonable market rate with no fees
- Airport pickup and help settling in
- Japanese national healthcare and pension system placement
Benchan Eikaiwa is a small school in downtown Kumamoto, Japan. Kumamoto is a medium-sized city in the Southwest of Japan in the Kyushu region. The population is around 700,000 and most aspects of daily life and leisure are conveniently available. The city is a short (1 hour) train ride from Fukuoka.
The school holds classes for both children and adults. Both sections of the school use syllabi and textbooks to make class management, preparation, and assessment easier to manage consistently, both lesson to less as well as teacher to teacher. Our main goals are to support our students in their goals using English. Students come to use for all sorts of reasons, but we try to keep in mind why they need English and to support them in reaching that goal through English!
Like many English schools, our schedule is afternoon and evening heavy, with many classes also taking place on Saturday. As such, we tend to start work at 11:30 or 12:30 on the weekdays, finishing at 9:30. On Saturday, we start at 9:30 and finish at 6:30. There are also periodic events, such as dinners, movie nights, etc.
Class management and resource management is largely done in the cloud, with attendance and class notes all shared via web management soft. We do this to cut down on the time it takes to process paperwork but also to ease the sharing of information about students between members of the staff.
Position Specific Info
We are currently looking for an additional teacher to handle a wide range of classes, from children to adults. However, the current position will focus more on adults, business English, test prep, etc than on young learners.
The schedule will include:
- 9:30 - 18:30 Saturdays
- 4 days during the week to be discussed with the applicant
Thank you for considering our position!
Teaching in Japan continues to be one of the most popular options for English teachers as well as licensed classroom teachers. One of the world's most technologically advanced countries, Japan also maintains a culture of old-world tradition and appreciation for beauty.