English Track Middle/High School ELA/Social Studies Teacher
- Middle School, High School
- Licensed Teacher, ESL Instructor
- 2 years of teaching experience
- Teaching Credential/LicenseTESL/TEFL Certificate over 100 hoursTESL/TEFL CertificateTESL/TEFL Diploma LevelOther Certification
- Demonstrate strong positive commitment toward school improvement
- Able to develop and follow course curriculum as well as design units when necessary.
- Be comfortable using computers to design and teach lessons
- Use online portals provided by the school to post assignments, communicate with
- students\parents, input grades and provide information
- Fluent in both oral and written English at a professional standard
- Desire to actively engage in professional development opportunities as provided by the school or through individual initiative
- Flexible in adapting to a multi-cultural environment with school community members of many nationalities
Education and Work Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree required in a relevant field such as English Language Arts, Literature, History, government or public policy. Those with degrees in education and with a background teaching Social Studies and/or ELA will also be considered
- Valid teaching license
- Two years teaching experience in social studies, ELA, or related field
- Home Visit Travel Allowance
- Additional 12,000 RMB/ year to subsidize for travel. Paid 1,000 RMB monthly
- Relocation Allowance
- Moving from overseas: A one-off relocation allowance will be payable in Chinese local currency RMB, following the guideline of 6,000 RMB per single teacher and 12,000 RMB per family
- Moving from mainland China: 3,000 RMB per single teacher and 6,000 RMB per family
- Housing and housing allowances
- Housing allowance will be provided.
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacations in Winter, Summer and other paid holidays based on national statutory holidays’ arrangement. Chinese statutory holidays applicable. Offered to all full-time staff.
- Health Insurance
- Worldwide coverage subject to individual choice, up to 100% direct billing at many hospitals around China.
- The school bears 90% of the MSH premium.
- Non-medical Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Catastrophic Health Insurance
- The school bears 90% of the MSH premium.
- Children’s SMIC School Tuition
- Contingent on meeting SMIC Admissions policy requirements. Subsidized tuition policy subject to annual review.
- Personal Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Emergency Leave
- Maternity/Paternity Leave
Provide instructional guidance to students in social studies courses while actively contributing to our students and school through associated roles expected of a holistic professional educator in a dynamic system dedicated to honor, excellence, community and joy.
Job Duties for Teaching and Learning
- Teach 20 periods per week of any or a combination of the following: ELA, Social Studies, electives
- Generally work with students in grades 6-8, as assigned for the school year
- Be comfortable working with advanced and motivated students who have strong academic backgrounds
- Work on curriculum development, which includes preparing effective lesson units
- based on the school’s curriculum development formats.
- Maintain and update timely student records including grading (homework, grade
- books, progress reports, report cards, student attendance, and other required
- Actively fulfill assigned supervision duties, which could include serving as an advisory Teacher
- Work closely with and assist students who are still developing their English language skills.
- Apply differentiation in lessons in order to meet the needs of the students
- Meet with parents, students and other teachers when necessary to develop interventions for students with academic or emotional/behavioral needs
- Positively and proactively communicate with parents/guardians, teachers and students when needed.
- Serve as substitute teacher for ES, MS, and HS when needed (compensation will be provided)
- Attend and take an active role in meetings and events (departmental, grade level, committees, faculty, etc.)
- Perform other duties as needed (e.g. coach a sports team, handle remedial classes)
BJ SMIC Private School is a Preschool through 12th Grade institution. Currently, there are 1650 students and 260 full time teachers from 16 nationalities. The School stresses each student’s holistic development and also emphasizes the importance of moral integrity in education.
As we expand into more classes, we continue to hire qualified staff throughout the year. Overall, we have one of the lowest rates of teacher replacement you will find in China, especially among local staff, but also among our expat teachers. Our teachers are committed to their students, and enjoy deep friendships with their coworkers.
Administrators make every effort to place teachers where they can refine their teaching skills and develop professionally, with opportunities for advancement to those that desire it.
Working for a growing company with $1.7 billion in annual revenue has definite benefits; you never have to worry about delayed salary payments or layoff's due to budget cuts. SMIC Private School offers salaries more than sufficient to cover the low cost of living in Yizhuang.
Living in Yizhuang is getting easier every year as well. Whether, cycling, driving, taking the bus or subway, Yizhuang is less congested and easy to get around. Two new shopping plaza's have opened nearby, Lippo Plaza and Creative Life Plaza (with a Sam's club, Papa John's, Starbucks, and bilingual movies). McDonalds, KFC, Subway, and a half dozen pizza restaurants serve Western food nearby. On weekends, teachers fellowship in each other's homes or attend a nearby church, the subway and express buses reach the downtown expatriate fellowships and districts (CBD, Sanlitun) in less than 1 hour.
Yizhuang has many square miles of parks, lakes, rivers and natural areas to enjoy, and Decathlon has plenty of international-standard sporting goods. There are many volunteer opportunities nearby as well, including New Day Foster Home and Shepherd's Field Children's Home within a short drive.