KG/Grade 1 Teacher
- Early Childhood, Elementary
- Licensed Teacher
- 2 years of teaching experience
- Education or related field
- Valid teaching certificate/license in applicable grade/subject
- Minimum of two years full-time lead teaching
- Experience teaching in a cross-curricular, integrated program, Common Core, EAL
- Exhibit the following leadership qualities/ characteristics:
- Inclination toward innovation
- Solution-oriented approach
- Data-informed decision making
- Emotionally grounded
- Positive, growth mindset
- Willingness to model for and collaborate with others in best practices
- Receive and incorporate feedback
- Investment/Retirement + Savings Plan: 5% of the Employee’s base salary at the end of each successful completed school year.
- Housing: Furnished apartment provided by school.
- Medical/Dental: Health and dental insurance provided on 100% premium basis.
- Utilities: covered up to US$1000 per employee per year.
- Personal Effects Shipping: Initial and End of Contract:
- Single Employee: up to US$1000 (with receipts)
- Teaching Couple: up to US$2000 (with receipts)
- Settling-in Allowance:
- Single Employee: US$250 paid on arrival in Chinese RMB
- Teaching Couple: US$500 paid on arrival in Chinese RMB
- Annual Home Leave: equivalent to lowest economy class round trip to Home of Record (non-teaching dependent not included). Fare to be obtained from 3 quotes comparison done in February. Arrival ticket to China on initial contract to be provided by school.
- Visa Assistance: visa-related expenses covered to secure initial documentation and renewal. Expenses only for employed teachers. Assistance but not expenses provided for dependents.
- Taxes: all applicable Chinese tax assumed by the school
- Local Medical Clinic: emergency and outpatient services through International Clinic in Shantou, Guangzhou and Shenzhen.
- Professional Development (Personal): up to US$800 per year paid (direct or reimbursed) for expenses related to pre-approved professional development activities aligned with professional growth plan.
- Re-signing Bonus: US$1000 for one-year renewal contract offered to returning faculty
- Personal & Sick Leave: 10 days annually.
- Other benefits: life insurance, bereavement leave (no airfare), evacuation plan, etc.
GTIIT-Affiliated International School teachers are adept at working with a diverse group of students of varying ages, and therefore are able to differentiate curriculum, individualize instruction and ensure a depth of conceptual and skills-based understanding. We seek dynamic individuals who model a passion for and expertise in holistic education, and who can collaborate effectively to develop and implement curriculum, track student progress, and group students for differentiation. During the school’s start-up phase, teachers instruct multi-age classes in standards-aligned curricula that focus on conceptual understanding, skills acquisition, and character growth.
The K/1 teacher understands how to transition kids from early childhood to elementary school, and is always cognizant of age-appropriate activities and instruction. Students are taught independence skills that give them agency in their learning. Kids explore concepts and become adept at standards-based skills, and there is plenty of time for play and social engagement so the whole child can develop. The K/1 teacher creates a joyous learning space for all.
Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
- Plan units that focus on the three Cs: conceptual understanding, competency (skills) acquisition, and character development
- Integrate curriculum and teach around conceptual themes, teaching skills in isolation and practicing them in context, mindfully incorporating the standards across all unit and lesson planning, ensuring depth and complexity
- Assess student development and performance using a variety of assessment techniques and models; track data and develop groupings as needed to best meet student needs and ensure growth
- Develop, document, implement and refine a differentiated, high-level curriculum, including participation on school-wide curriculum alignment and development teams
- Support children in their holistic development through proactive social-emotional instruction and have a vested interest in implementing best practices in international education
- Ensure teaching approaches reflect and support multiple forms of diversity and be responsive to a diverse learning community
Collaboration and Participation
- Set and participate in team goals or individual coaching cycles focused on student growth and supported by growth data, and collaborate with coaches, other teachers, and administration as needed
- Participate in professional development sessions and weekly faculty meetings
- Lead and facilitate collaborative walkthrough and observation practices; embrace site-based professional development through sharing of best practices
- Participate in strategic planning work, accreditation work, and teacher committees as needed as the school grows
- Plan and teach After School Activities, and lead or be involved in school events
Student and Family Support
- Proactively involve parents in their child’s education, including weekly communications on Seesaw focusing both on the class curriculum and individual progress in conceptual understanding, skills acquisition, and character development
- Establish and maintain routines and use positive and collaborative approaches to student behavior management, effectively approaching student misbehaviors as learning opportunities and following the AIS discipline policy
- Hold conferences and meetings to support families, participate in Student Support meetings
- Monitor and assist students on playgrounds, lunches, and other assigned duty times
- Assist in covering classes when others are on leave
- Participate in special events, including evening events such as, Curriculum Night, Parent Conferences, performances, etc.
- Arrange field trips, buses, and special events that enhance the curricular program
- Other duties as assigned
GTIIT Affiliated International School is a private, co-educational school located inside the state-of-the-art Guangdong Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, in Shantou, Guangdong, China. The school will house two programs: the international program for children of overseas expatriates, and the immersion program for children of Chinese nationals. The international program opened in August 2019, enrolling dependents from overseas faculty at the GTIIT University and Shantou University.
The program offers a U.S. style, English medium curriculum, and is a member of the Common Ground Collaborative in developing curriculum that supports students in their conceptual, competency, and character development. In 2020-2021, the school will serve multi-age classes of students from Pre-K to Grade 8. In subsequent years, additional grades will be added through Grade 12. The new K-12 campus is scheduled to open in August of 2022 with the launch of the Bilingual School.
The Guangdong Technion-Israel Institute of Technology is modeled after the Technion Institute of Technology of Israel, a leading university in Israel and throughout the world. The vision of GTIIT is to become a world-class international university carrying out cutting-edge research in the fields of science and technology, fostering a high-tech industrial ecosystem in Shantou and Guangdong Province. As its partner, the GTIIT Affiliated Bilingual School aims to establish PreK-12 programs using research-based practice to nurture mindful collaborators and thoughtful global citizens. The School advocates for additive bilingualism, dual language and culture immersion with expatriate and national students alike. The School is committed to providing a cognitive based program where young children learn through active exploration in an environment, which is rich in materials and opportunities to converse, socialize, work, play and negotiate with others. Each child will have great learning experiences to meet the academic, social and emotional achievements. The school will adopt a standard-based system to evaluate the effectiveness of student learning at all ages.
GTIIT Affiliated International School is managed by ISS-ULink, International Schools Services' (ISS) affiliate in China. If you are a passionate educator interested in helping create intentional and innovative learning programs, come join GTIIT Affiliated International School!