MYP/DP Visual Arts Teacher
- Middle School, High School
- Licensed Teacher
- 2 years of teaching experience
- Two years experience teaching in the desired subject/division
- IB experience is advantageous
- To be able to work on own initiative and be proactive
- Have flexibility, drive, energy and enthusiasm.
- Be approachability and have a sense of humour
- Have the ability to be a good team player with a good understanding of how teamwork contributes to school improvement.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have the ability to work under pressure, prioritise tasks and manage time effectively in order to meet deadlines
- A tax-free salary, paid in U$ dollars
- A cost of living monthly allowance, paid in local currency
- Fully furnished accommodation provided
- Settling in allowance, paid in local currency
- Relocation allowance, at beginning and end of contract
- Annual airfare to/from the home of record
- Health and dental insurance
- A generous yearly PD allowance
- Matching retirement (starting at 5%)
- French lessons allowance
- Signing on bonus for contract extension
We are seeking certified dedicated professionals. Our active campus requires energetic staff to inspire our students, to contribute a learning-focused professional community, and to lead our after school activities. We seek to attract teachers who will be supportive and creative colleagues and who are willing to work together. We seek not only excellence in the classroom, but also candidates who will thrive and flourish in a small, close-knit community, who have interests beyond the classroom that they can share with students.
The American School of YaoundÃ© (ASOY) is an independent English medium, non-profit, educational institution offering the PYP, MYP and DP International Baccalaureate programs from PK-3 through grade 12. Admission to ASOY is open on a non-discriminatory basis to all students, regardless of race, creed, color, gender, religion, national origin, ethnic background, or philosophy. The Guiding Statements have been updated and are in line with the values of ASOY. Our Vision states that: We empower students to excel, to embrace their individual passions, and become engaged, fulfilled global citizens who will positively impact society. Our Mission of Engage-Empower-Excel is a powerful statement of our commitment to students.
Organization: The school is accredited by both the Council of International Schools (CIS) in Europe and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA). ASOY is an active member of the Association of International Schools in Africa (AISA) and the Association for the Advancement of International Education (AAIE). The school is governed by a 7-member school board elected by the Parent Association. ASOY is an IB World Continuum School authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) to offer the Primary Years Program (PYP), Middle Years Program (MYP), Diploma Program (DP). Starting in 2019-20 school year, ASOY has started a Prek-3 French/English Bi-lingual program.
Curriculum: The educational program at ASOY consists of an enriched curriculum, correlated with the U.S. Common Core, AERO, Next Generation Science Standards and the IB program philosophy. It is reflective of both the international character of the community and the environment of Cameroon. Instruction is in English and French is taught at all grade levels. Additional languages may be offered based on student interest and the availability of a qualified teacher. English Language Learners Program (ELL) support is available for students in grades 1 through 12 and a learning support program is offered for students with mild learning and/or other difficulties.
Faculty: There are 40 full-time teachers and 3 interns including 15 U.S. citizens, 13 host-country nationals, and 15 third-country nationals. All full time staff members are fully certified and registered with their respective country’s educational department, with the majority trained and certified in the U.S. The school employs a full-time librarian and nurse.
Facilities: The campus is located on a 3.5-acre site near the center of YaoundÃ© and consists of 25 classrooms, 1 computer lab, 2 science labs, a 16,000-volume multimedia library, a learning support center, an ELL support center, a college counselor, the Parrot’s Canteen, a multi-purpose room, and a courtyard for events and R&R. Sports facilities include 2 tennis courts, one multi use outdoor court, a covered basketball court, a swimming pool, a kiddie pool, a newly installed artificial turf soccer field, and 2 playgrounds for younger students. The school consists of 4 sections: the early childhood (PK3-kindergarten), elementary school (grades 1-5), middle school (grades 6-8), and high school (grades 9-12).