Primary School Teacher
- Licensed Teacher
- 2 years of teaching experience
- Primary / Elementary Education
- Teaching Credential/License
- Qualified Teacher Status achieved in one of the following countries: United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, or the USA.
- Experience in teaching the Primary curriculum using the above national curricula (or international equivalent).
- A particular flair and passion for teaching Primary English and a willingness to also teach other subjects as required.
- A passion for teaching EAL/ESL learners in a mixed-ability environment.
- A positive work ethic and a high level of self-motivation; the willingness to act as a role model and mentor, to students and colleagues.
- Cultural sensitivity and intercultural communication competence; the ability to relate positively to colleagues who were raised in a distinctly different culture.
- Perseverance and a willingness to find complex practical solutions to everyday problems; patience, emotional stability, and a positive outlook.
- A commitment to being an excellent ambassador for our school within the Baku community
Also desirable would be:
- Experience teaching the Cambridge Primary Curriculum.
- Experience in leading appraisal and/or staff training; experience in school management.
- Specific EAL / ESL experience or qualifications.
- Experience working in an international setting within a team that has a high proportion of host-country nationals.
- Experience living and working in the post-Soviet space.
- Proficiency in Azerbaijani, Russian, or Turkish language.
- A highly competitive net salary
- A performance bonus
- A travel and relocation allowance
- Fully equipped accommodation
- Comprehensive medical insurance for the employee and up to 2 dependents as standard
- A school laptop
- Lunch in the school canteen
- Free tuition for dependent children of any age as a standard
Professional qualities and experience:
We seek a fully certified Primary School Teacher to join our rapidly expanding international school in Baku, Azerbaijan.
- applicants who wish to make a longer-term commitment.
This is an opportunity to join a great team and make a genuine difference, educating the upcoming elite of a young country with a promising future. The post is suited to a capable and self-motivated professional who enjoys working in a cross-cultural environment.
The successful applicant will be a highly capable, modern practitioner with a particular passion for teaching Primary English.
The key duties can be summarised as follows:
- Fulfilling a full-time teaching timetable: the successful applicant will teach Primary English, and some other primary subjects, to children of a range of abilities across the Primary Grade 2 Year Group (UK Year 3 equivalent).
- Modelling teaching and team teaching: the successful applicant will be passionate about supporting their colleagues’ professional development by offering themselves as a model for peer observation.
- Supporting school events, the extra-curricular program, and other initiatives: the successful applicant should be a team player willing to assist with various school projects and initiatives.
The position will suit a committed, enthusiastic teaching professional possessing the correct blend of moral purpose, teaching, and interpersonal and intercultural communication skills.
MTK school is located in Baku, Azerbaijan, and moved to a state-of-the-art campus in the heart of the country’s capital in August 2018. A prestigious local private school educating the children of the country’s business elite, MTK is part way through a transition to becoming a bilingual, international-style school that offers a blended English and Azerbaijani instruction curriculum.
The school is comprised of a bilingual Preschool for ages 2-6, a bilingual Primary School for ages 6-11 (Grades 1-5), and a three-stream Secondary school for ages 10-18 (Grades 6-12), which incorporates an international stream (offering Cambridge IGCSE and AS/A-Levels) and two local curriculum streams where the language of instruction is Azerbaijani and Russian respectively. The pupil roll is around 750 in total.
The Primary School
The Primary School is situated in a state-of-the-art building with plenty of natural light, interactive whiteboards in every class, spacious corridors, a fully stocked library, and specialist teaching spaces for ICT, Art, and Music.
The Primary curriculum is delivered primarily in two languages, determined by the student’s choice of educational stream. Students learning in Stream A receive a spine of English-instruction international subjects (English, Mathematics, Science, STEAM, Topic Work, Art, PE, etc.) delivered in English, complimented by aspects of the host-country curriculum delivered in the Azerbaijani language. Stream B classes receive the same but with their host-country curriculum content delivered in the Russian language.
The transformation of the Primary School began in earnest in August 2018 and a great deal of positive progress has been made in terms of staff development, improved planning and assessment of teaching, improved resourcing, creating enabling learning environments, and adapting the parent body to more child-centered expectations.
The successful applicant will work in close cooperation with a predominantly local staff team and three other fully-certified expatriate Primary teachers.
MTK employs an expatriate staff of eleven fully certified teachers across the Preschool, Primary School, and Secondary Schools who are nationals of different countries.
How to apply:
- a concise covering email, stating the role for which you are applying and core reasons why you are suited to the role
- a well-presented curriculum vitae, including full name, recent photograph, clear details of relevant qualifications, an accurate, clear chronology of teaching experience (with all gaps in employment since your initial teacher training accounted for), and, finally, a personal statement/statement of teaching philosophy.
MTK closely follows safer recruitment practices and all applicants are subject to rigorous reference and background/police checks.
Contract start date : Friday, 10th November; relocation to before that date, between 4th and 8th November is advisable
MTK International School is an international center of excellence within an Azerbaijani context, delivering an education that will fully prepare students to take their places in the modern world.
Our centrally located campus provides a world-class learning environment, equipped with modern educational resources, a powerful IT infrastructure and the full range of on-site facilities required by any tier-one school.
Our school curriculum focuses on personal, academic, and 21st-century learning strategies that will prepare children for the world of tomorrow, at home, or abroad. Focusing solely on academic achievement is no longer sufficient to guarantee success; children and adults need a broader range of skills and knowledge to call upon in a fast-changing world. The MTK International School’s Curriculum provides a wide variety of studies designed to foster the development of intellectual growth, physical and emotional health, creativity, and an empathetic spirit.
We currently provide an exceptional education to children aged 2 to 17, offering the full range of Preschool, Primary, and Secondary education.
Our mission is to help every child fulfill his or her potential, to succeed in a fast-changing, exciting 21st-century working environment, and also to live a happy, fulfilled life as a part of the Baku and wider global community. Our school ensures that its students reach their full academic potential whilst also developing a broad range of skills, talents, and abilities.
Teach in Azerbaijan to experience a truly cross continental nation, situated at the border of Eastern Europe and the Middle East. Stunning world heritage sites, natural wonders, and a cosmopolitan boom make Azerbaijan a wonderful place to teach and explore.