Teacher, Middle School ELL (English Language Learners)
- Middle School
- Licensed Teacher
As an English Language Learners (ELL) teacher, candidate will teach middle school (grades 7 and 8) students in the English Language Learners program. Focus of the position will be development of spoken and written language.
Washington State certification with appropriate endorsement(s) required and must be on file prior to beginning work
- ELL endorsement, or currently in a program working towards an ELL endorsement
- Ability to enrich and understand the district’s diverse student, staff and community needs with various cultural experiences and second language skills
- Major in English as a Second Language/English Language Learners
- Experience teaching middle school students
- Demonstrated successful experience with ELL students
- Demonstrated ability to teach various levels of ELL conversation, writing and reading
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work with a variety of students who speak different languages individually and in small groups as well as working with and supporting content level teachers in core instruction.
- Demonstrated successful experience with multi-sensory teaching strategies and teaching language sheltered content classes
- Demonstrated ability to organize and maintain program records
- Ability to establish rapport with staff, students, community, and create strong interagency linkages
- Candidate should be knowledgeable of differing student learning styles
- Ability to exhibit multicultural and ethnic understanding and sensitivity with the ability to communicate effectively with all cultural groups in the school community
- Experience working with a diverse student population and the specific school demographics
- Desired teacher characteristics are: flexibility; ability to organize ideas, time and materials to accomplish goals; enthusiasm; ability to express ideas clearly and understand concepts being discussed; ability to learn new ideas and skills; ability and willingness to develop favorable relationships with students; knowledge of current approaches to teaching; and willingness to model behavior deemed appropriate by the school district and the community.
Mill Creek Middle School, located in the heart of the Kent valley, serves a diverse population of approximately 850 students in the 7th and 8th grades. The campus offers a wide range of academic and extra-curricular activities in a state-of-the-art, technology-rich facility. Rigorous instruction is provided at all levels of the curriculum. English Language Learners and special education students receive needed support services. We have a one-to-one technology environment where every student has a laptop, providing anytime, anywhere learning. Mill Creek also is home to the Kent School District Technology Academy. The Mill Creek staff is an outstanding group of professionals who strive to meet the unique needs of our students and their families.