College Advisor/Substitute Teacher
- Middle School, High School
- Director/Principal, Licensed Teacher, College/University Faculty, Office/Administration Staff
- 2 years of teaching experience
Teaching Credential/LicenseOther Certification
- U.S. or Canadian teaching certification preferred; Secondary English Language Arts and Social Studies disciplines preferred, but not required
- Willingness to travel, frequently
WAY provides the flight between the U.S to Brazil at the beginning and end of contract; a housing stipend is provided for a furnished apartment; WAY also provides single-person full, international health coverage. There are also local employment benefits such as food and transportation allowances.
Welcome to an educational experience that encourages collaboration, achieving excellence, and a clear path to college and careers. Welcome to a place where every student is provided with a personalized, project based student-centered learning experience, unique in-school, and online environments with 24/7 live access to educators.
WAY provides young people with a world-class education and the tools for success in life after graduating with an American high school diploma. WAY is changing the way students are being taught, by embracing the way they already learn.
WAY American School is a network of AdvancEd accredited schools throughout Brazil. We offer an exemplary educational experience and open a world of opportunity for our students. WAY continues to grow in size and impact and we are always looking for great people to join our team.
Purpose of Job:
A WAY college advisor/substitute teacher would be the point person for all schools throughout Brazil on college preparatory materials, as well as intermittently substitute at locations when needed. This person will support teachers with materials and work with teachers to provide students with content that will help prepare them for college.
College Advising Responsibilities:
- Build and sustain a school-wide culture of attending college, promoting U.S. universities
- Assist students in navigating the college search and application process
- Facilitate college admission and finance workshops for students and parents
- Track and report key student performance indicators within HERO to the Academic Director on a monthly basis (i.e. student credits, progress toward graduation, college eligibility, college/program applications, college/program acceptances, scholarships)
- Support scholarship search, application, and award processes for students
- Maintain external relationships to bring services or opportunities to the school (i.e. SAT test preparation courses, guest speakers)
- Follow up with students after graduation (i.e. calls, emails, coordinated Advisor outreach) to identify and problem-solve barriers to college matriculation
- Support WAY American School graduates in college with periodic personal check-ins, mentoring, and social networking (i.e. Facebook virtual community)
- Other duties as assigned
- Coordinate school site testing processes pertinent to college (e.g. PSAT, SAT, ACT, etc.)
Collaboration and Networking Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain relationships with colleges through WAY’s University Network
- Develop a student alumni network that will provide support to current high school students
The position will also require training to be a WAY Lab Expert.
Lab Expert Responsibilities & Description:
An expert is a certified teacher in a specific content area and is in charge of creating engaging projects and learning opportunities for students, using the provided curriculum that follows U.S. national and common core standards. They work with a cohort of students as a part of a multidisciplinary team to ensure academic growth and development. Our school is a school within a school, and in Brazil we're partnered with private schools (several different ones) and have classrooms within the school. Our school works more as an after-school program and the average schedule has teachers teach two 2-hour classes from about 2pm-6pm (i.e. 2-4 & 4-6). Teachers report at 9:00am and mornings are designated for: planning, collaborating (with other teachers or teaching assistant (TA), who acts as more of a team-teacher), grading, meetings, etc.; teachers have an hour lunch, then prepare for students. All of our curriculum is online and project-based. Lessons should generally consist of a language developing activity, then content based activities and engagement, and some work time where students are either doing collaborative work or teachers can work with students on individual progress and understanding.
Location: Natal, with travel within Brazil 50%+ of the time
Salary: US$ 35,000
Equal Opportunity Employer:
W-A-Y is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No W-A-Y employee will discriminate unlawfully against an applicant for employment or fellow employee because of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability which is unrelated to the person's ability to do the job, or any other unlawful criteria.
Upon hire and obtaining a work visa, candidates will need to provide the following documents:
- University Diploma (notarized and apostille)
- Letter of Employment: One or more letters from former employers that demonstrates the candidate (teacher) has at least 01 year of former job experience in the position he/she will hold in Brazil. Note that only jobs held after graduation (undergraduate) from university count. (notarized and apostille)
- Passport: Copy of the identification pages (pages containing photo, full name and number) of valid US passport.
- Federal Background Check: Complete Background check or police report. (must be within 3 months of visa application) (notarized and apostille)
- Birth Certificate (original) (notarized and apostille)
Teach in Brazil for an opportunity to experience South American culture while teaching English in international schools. Boasting a multicultural population, modern cities, and over nine thousand kilometers of beaches, working in Brazil is a unique way to explore the tropics.