Head of Accelerated English Programme
- Licensed Teacher
- Qualified Teacher Status achieved in any of the following countries: United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa or the USA
- Experience of teaching Early Years and/or Primary, using one of the above national curricula in an ESL/EAL-rich environment
- A positive work ethic and a high level of self-motivation; the willingness to act as a role model and mentor, to students and colleagues
- An excellent grasp of the teaching and learning practices suited to a modern English-medium international school (i.e. able to teach highly effective 3-part lessons but also model more independent, collaborative and technology-rich aspects of 21st century learning; the ability to adapt teaching and learning to an inclusive environment where EAL and a range of abilities will be common)
- Cultural sensitivity and intercultural communication competence - i.e. the ability to relate in a positive way and achieve positive results working with professionals who have been raised in a distinctly different culture
- Resilience and a solution-oriented outlook; the ability to complete and finish tasks; a ‘no excuses’ approach
- The positivity, patience, open-mindedness and resilience necessary to thrive in an exciting but very culturally different location
- A commitment to be an excellent ambassador for our school within the community
- Experience as a specialist teacher or Coordinator of EAL / ESL
- Experience of working in an international setting leading a team that has a significant proportion of host-country nationals
- Specific EAL / ESL qualifications
- Experience of mentoring colleagues or general leadership and management experience; experience of leading appraisal
- Experience of leading professional learning communities and/or staff training
- Experience of living and working in the post-Soviet space
- A passion for learning languages and/or basic knowledge of Russian, Uzbek or Turkish
- Salary: Highly Competitive
- Full expatriate package with travel allowance, accommodation, international medical insurance and education for up to two dependents as standard.
Seeking an excellent leader to spearhead our Accelerated English programme!
Westminster International School seeks a qualified, experienced Head of English as an Additional Language to line manage the primarily host-country teachers who lead our Accelerated English (AE) classes for emergent English speakers. This is a role for a fully-certified school teacher.
The successful applicant will be a key member of the Senior Management Team and will be responsible not only for developing whole-school strategy for EAL provision, but also quality assuring the educational experience of AE learners, modelling excellent practice, leading staff development and mentoring the six Primary AE lead teachers (host-country nationals in most cases).
1 WIST will offer education for children aged 2-11 (Pre-Nursery - Year 6) in 2019-20.
The role is non-class-based although a 30% teaching timetable is anticipated, involving:
- Modeling excellent lessons that exhibit best practice in EAL teaching
- Team teaching and supporting lessons
- Delivering and supporting individual intervention / small group interventions
Provision mapping and the creation of sensible, practical but also highly innovative and effective systems for monitoring EAL needs and initiating necessary interventions will be key to the role. We provide a modern, positive and excellently resourced school environment, experienced senior leadership staff and effective school governance overseen by Westminster University. The school will have a powerful IT infrastructure with interactive whiteboards in every classroom, ICT and robotics room, laptops and tablets for student use. The successful applicant will work in close cooperation with a team of ten other expatriate teachers and senior leaders forming the start-up team, including a Head of Primary, Head of Preschool, Learning Support Coordinator, Leader of Technology and Innovation and the Class Teachers for the mainstream Reception to Year 6 classes. We have extremely high hopes for our new school and we seek energetic, innovative and capable professionals who can contribute to our vision and help make it a reality.
About the school
Westminster International School, Tashkent will open its doors to students at its purpose-built, state-of-the-art campus on 5 th September 2019. Working in partnership with the long-established and highly-respected Westminster International University in Tashkent, the school aims to establish itself as Tashkent’s leading international provider. In September 2019 the school will offer class Pre-Nursery - Year 6 (ages 2-11); for students aged 5 and older, the school will offer Mainstream (MS) Classes to children ready to access the curriculum at a level in line with UK age expectations and Accelerated English (AE) Classes to children newer to learning in an English-instruction environment. We are fortunate to have academic leaders with a track-record of success and to have highly effective school governance, overseen by our partner Westminster International University in Tashkent. The school will have a powerful IT infrastructure with interactive whiteboards in every classroom, an ICT and robotics room and laptops and tablets for student use.
How To Apply
Please attach the following documents to your Teach Away profile:
- A concise covering letter explaining why you are a strong candidate for the position
- An up-to-date CV including an accurate chronology of your teaching experience and qualifications
- A recent photo
Please be aware that WIST fully adheres to safer recruitment guidelines for professionals who work with children and young people.
Teach in Uzbekistan for the opportunity to live at the intersection of East and West and explore this incredible and often undiscovered Central Asian treasure.