Head of English Department - January 2024 Start
- Middle School, High School
- Licensed Teacher
- 6 years of teaching experience
- Teaching Credential/License
- United States (USA), United Kingdom (UK), Canada, Australia, New Zealand
- Bachelor in English or a bachelor’s degree in a related subject with PGCE or other teacher qualification Minimum Experience
- 6 years experience, including 4 consecutive years of teaching performance that exceeds standards and expectations as evidenced by Performance Appraisal
Job Specific Knowledge & Skills
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills
- Able to work in an environment with frequent interruptions • Able to make judgments and work under pressure
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels
- Able to organize tasks and multi-task
- Able to think and plan strategically
- Must possess supervisory and leadership skills
- Must be competent in IT
- Must have integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality
What we offer:
Aldar Education is a family of world-class, child-centered, and innovative schools based in the UAE. We educate over 22,000 students across our group of owned and managed schools and as we grow, so does our need for highly skilled, inspirational, and dedicated school leaders.
We offer an attractive remuneration package including medical cover, flights, furnished accommodation, and free child school places. Our future-focused learning model includes students and staff, so we specialize in professional development, coaching, and training. Successful candidates will have access to a wide network of professionals and opportunities to both lead and contribute to training others as well as developing themselves.
Aldar Education is keen to hear from like-minded, forward-thinking school leaders who would welcome the challenges and opportunities that we have to offer.
Aldar Education is currently seeking a Head of the English Department to join our growing family of owned and operated schools in the UAE. The current vacancy is based in ADNOC School, Sas Al Nakhl in Abu Dhabi, UAE for the January 2024 start.
ADNOC Schools are Massachusetts State Curriculum schools with superb facilities in Abu Dhabi City and the Western Region of Abu Dhabi Emirate.
The Massachusetts Curriculum is one of the most highly regarded and successful curricula in the United States, with close links to prestigious higher education institutions such as Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Graduates of ADNOC Schools receive the American High School Diploma - the standard entry qualification for US colleges and universities.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the highly successful Aldar family of schools and to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading school group.
The successful candidates will be closely aligned with our core values and ethos and possess a genuine understanding and appreciation of the values of the region.
- Ensuring curriculum coverage, continuity, and progression in the subject for all students.
- Ensuring clear guidance for teaching the subject and enhancing key skills through the schemes of work including research and technology-based learning.
- Ensuring that there is a clear departmental assessment policy in line with school guidance and examination requirements providing internal examination papers and external examinations entries, as required.
- Evaluating the teaching of the subject in the school and taking action to improve further the quality of teaching.
- Developing links with other members of the local and extended school community to extend the subject curriculum, enhance teaching, and develop students’ broader understanding of the subject.
- Ensuring implementation of school policies on issues such as equal opportunities, teaching, and learning, and behavior management.
- Promoting effective departmental expectations of behavior in line with whole school policies.
- Chairing department meetings and representing the department on various curriculum groups and school events as required.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of staff as required by the school policy and using the process further to develop the personal and professional effectiveness of individual staff.
- Identifying departmental training needs and supporting and coordinating the delivery of appropriate high-quality professional development.
- Inducting new staff with particular emphasis on the needs of trainees and newly qualified teachers.
- Working with the HOD, Middle/High School coordinators, and the SENCO to ensure appropriate subject-specific targets are set and work is differentiated and well-matched to meet student needs.
- Ensuring that senior managers, the Principal, the ELT, SGG, and Members of the Board are kept well informed of all relevant matters.
To be responsible for efficient and effective deployment of staff and resources through:
- Establishing staff and resource needs.
- Allocation of available subject resources, which are in line with the UAE cultural sensitivities.
- Deploying staff involved in the subject to ensure the best use of subject, technical, and other expertise.
- Ensuring the effective and efficient management and organization of learning resources including ICT.
- Managing accommodation to create an effective and stimulating environment for teaching and learning the subject.
Interested applicants should forward the following :
- 1 side A4, letter of interest
- Most recent resume/CV
Aldar Education and ADNOC Schools are committed to safeguarding children and young people, and any offer of appointment will be subject to any relevant medical checks and clearance from appropriate safeguarding authorities.
The ADNOC Schools, in line with the UAE government's pioneering initiatives, aims to become a premier school in the region, graduating highly competent, socially responsible citizens and future national leaders.
The mission of ADNOC Schools is to prepare Emirati and other students, through an academically rigorous curriculum, to achieve their highest potential in a global, technologically advanced society, where Arabic and Islamic values are honored and cultural differences are respected.
Abu Dhabi is the capital city of UAE and is the second most populous city. Experienced educators or administrators seeking positions in the UAE can find great opportunities in Abu Dhabi.