Head of the Preschool
- Early Childhood
- Licensed Teacher
- Teaching Credential/License
- Qualified Teacher Status achieved in any of the following countries: United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa or the USA
- Experience of teaching the Early Years Foundation Stage (ages 2-5), in a UK or international context
- A positive work ethic and a high level of self-motivation; the willingness to act as a role model and mentor, to students and colleagues
- The ability to teach high quality EYFS-style lessons involving a blend of child-initiated learning and focused activities in an EAL and mixed ability environment)
- Cultural sensitivity and intercultural communication competence - i.e. the ability to relate in a positive way and achieve positive results working with professionals who have been raised in a distinctly different culture
- Resilience and a solution-oriented outlook; the ability to complete and finish tasks; a ‘no excuses’ approach
- The positivity, patience, open-mindedness and resilience necessary to thrive in an exciting but very culturally different location
- A commitment to be an excellent ambassador for our school within the community
- Experience of working in an international setting within a team that has a significant proportion of host country nationals
- Experience of mentoring colleagues / general leadership and management experience; experience of leading appraisal
- Specific EAL / ESL experience or qualifications
- Experience of leading staff development
- Experience of living and working in the post-Soviet space
- A passion for learning languages and/or basic knowledge of Russian, Uzbek or Turkish
Salary: Highly Competitive
Full expatriate package with travel allowance, accommodation, international medical insurance and education for up to two dependents as standard.
Seeking an excellent leader to spearhead our superbly-resourced new Preschool!
We seek highly skilled and committed Head of the Preschool, capable of creating a supportive, collaborative learning environment closely based on the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum requirements.
The successful applicant will be responsible for team-building, mentoring and ultimately for quality-assuring the learning journey for all Preschool children. While the wider school has a healthy blend of expatriate and host-country teachers, the Preschool is primarily locally staffed by committed, experienced, fluent English-speaking Uzbek class teachers; in order to provide excellent language modelling the Preschool is also staffed by a number of native English-speaking teaching and support staff.
1 WIST will offer education for children aged 2-11 (Pre-Nursery - Year 6) in 2019-20.
We provide a modern, positive and excellently resourced school environment ideally-suited to an authentic delivery of the EYFS; we do not, unlike some international schools, opt for a more formal Key Stage One-style curriculum. The bedrock of our provision will be child- initiated learning, facilitated by skilled teachers in a superbly resourced, enabling environment. The Preschool will be two form entry, comprised of the classes Pre-Nursery, Nursery and Reception, the latter of which has Mainstream and Accelerated English (AE) streams; placement of children from Reception upwards is determined by their level of English proficiency and a swift progression from the AE to Mainstream is anticipated for almost all children. The successful applicant will work in close cooperation with a team of ten other expatriate teachers and senior leaders forming the start-up team, including the Head of Primary, Head of English as an Additional Language, Learning Support Coordinator and Mainstream Class Teachers for Reception to Year 6. We have extremely high hopes for our new school and we seek energetic, innovative and capable teachers who can contribute to our vision and help make it a reality.
About the school
Westminster International School, Tashkent will open its doors to students at its purpose-built, state-of-the-art campus on 5 th September 2019. Working in partnership with the long-established and highly-respected Westminster International University in Tashkent, the school aims to establish itself as Tashkent’s leading international provider. In September 2019 the school will offer class Pre-Nursery - Year 6 (ages 2-11); for students aged 5 and older, the school will offer Mainstream (MS) Classes to children ready to access the curriculum at a level in line with UK age expectations and Accelerated English (AE) Classes to children newer to learning in an English-instruction environment. We are fortunate to have academic leaders with a track-record of success and to have highly effective school governance, overseen by our partner Westminster International University in Tashkent. The school will have a powerful IT infrastructure with interactive whiteboards in every classroom, an ICT and robotics room and laptops and tablets for student use.
How To Apply
Please attach the following documents to your Teach Away profile:
- A concise covering letter explaining why you are a strong candidate for the position
- An up-to-date CV including an accurate chronology of your teaching experience and qualifications
- A recent photo
Please be aware that WIST fully adheres to safer recruitment guidelines for professionals who work with children and young people.
Westminster International School in Tashkent opened its doors to students at its purpose-built, state-of-the-art campus in September 2019. A project that enjoys the full backing of the long-established and highly-respected Westminster International University in Tashkent, the school aims to establish itself as Tashkent’s premier international school provider. The school will educate children of the country’s business elite and international diplomatic and business communities, using an English-style national curriculum adapted for delivery in an international setting.
In September 2019 the school began to offer classes for Pre-Nursery - Year 6 (ages 2-11); for students aged 5 and older, the school will offer Mainstream (MS) Classes to children ready to access the curriculum at a level in line with UK age expectations and Accelerated English (AE) Classes to children newer to learning in an English-instruction environment.
While a settling period is necessary for a new school startup, we will typically expect our Mainstream Class students to meet or exceed UK age-expectations in standardised assessments and to significantly exceed these by the end of our Secondary School. The school aims for the vast majority of children to graduate from AE to Mainstream within 1.5 - 2 years and carefully manages academic provision, admissions and class numbers to make this a reality.
A team of around 20 expatriates is being recruited to work alongside host-country nationals in 2019-20.