IB MYP Music Teacher
- Middle School, High School
- Licensed Teacher
- 5 years of teaching experience
Teaching Credential/LicenseOther Certification
- Qualified Teacher Status achieved in any of the following countries: United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa or the USA
- Experience of teaching Music to Secondary Years 7-10
- Experience of leading high-quality musical events
- Strategic thinking skills necessary for establishing new systems and implementing new curricula
- A positive work ethic and a high level of self-motivation; the willingness to act as a role model and mentor to students and colleagues
- Skills and experience for working with EAL/ESL learners in a mixed ability environment
- An excellent grasp of the teaching and learning practices suited to the IB philosophy
- Cultural sensitivity and intercultural communication competence - i.e. the ability to relate in a positive way and achieve positive results working with professionals who have been raised in a distinctly different culture
- Resilience and a solution-oriented outlook; the ability to complete and finish tasks; a ‘no excuses’ approach
- The positivity, patience, open-mindedness and resilience necessary to thrive in an exciting but very culturally different location
- A commitment to be an excellent ambassador for our school within the community
- Specific EAL / ESL experience or qualifications
- Experience using the IB Middle Years Programme (highly desirable)
- Experience of mentoring colleagues / general leadership and management experience; experience of leading appraisal
- Experience of leading professional learning communities and/or staff training
- Experience of working in an international setting within a team that has a significant proportion of host country nationals
- Experience of living and working in the post-Soviet space
- A passion for learning languages and / or a basic knowledge of Russian, Uzbek or Turkish
Full expatriate package with travel allowance, accommodation, international medical insurance and education for up to two dependents as standard.
About the role
Westminster International School offers a generous remuneration package in line with our aim of teachers feeling valued and well-rewarded for their work.
We seek a highly skilled and committed IB MYP Music Teacher capable of working in a collaborative environment, achieving very high educational standards from day one, and providing learning experiences that are engaging and enjoyable for children. This is an important role as the school takes its first steps with the International Baccalaureate programme, and we seek a candidate with the experience, knowledge, skills and positive mindset necessary to implement the Music elements of the MYP Arts programme. The successful candidate would also play a significant role in setting the foundations for a strong and significant music programme in Primary, where all students will have opportunities for learning instruments in preparation for a secondary orchestra in the future.
We provide a modern, positive and excellently resourced school environment, experienced senior leadership staff and very positive and effective school governance overseen by Westminster University. The school has a powerful IT infrastructure with interactive whiteboards in every classroom, ICT and robotics room, laptops and tablets for student use.
Staff development strategy is central to our mission at Westminster, utilising our internal talent, visiting INSET providers from tier-one UK and international schools and capitalising on our strong links with Westminster International University. A rich variety of professional development and leadership opportunities will undoubtedly be offered to our founding team of staff, including necessary training required as the school embarks on the journey towards becoming an IB World School in the future.
The successful applicant will work in close cooperation with a team of twenty other expatriate teachers and senior leaders forming the start-up team, including the Academic Director, Head of Primary, Head of Early Years, Accelerated English Leader, Class Teachers for Reception to Year 6, and Specialist Secondary Teachers.
We have extremely high hopes for our new school and we seek energetic, innovative and capable professionals who can contribute to our vision and help make it a reality.
About the school
Westminster International School, Tashkent opened its doors to students at its purpose-built, state-of-the-art campus in September 2019. A project that enjoys the full backing of the long-established and highly-respected Westminster International University in Tashkent, the school aims to establish itself as Tashkent’s premier international school provider. The school will educate children of the country’s business elite and international diplomatic and business communities, using the International Primary Curriculum (IPC) for Primary, and the IB programme for Secondary.
In September 2019 the school began to offer classes for Pre-Nursery - Year 6 (ages 2-11); for students aged 5 and older, the school offers Mainstream (MS) Classes to children ready to access the curriculum at a level in line with UK age expectations and Accelerated English (AE) Classes to children newer to learning in an English-instruction environment.
While a settling period is necessary for a new school startup, we will typically expect our Mainstream Class students to meet or exceed UK age-expectations in standardised assessments and to significantly exceed these by the end of our Secondary School. The school aims for the vast majority of children to graduate from AE to Mainstream within 1.5 - 2 years and carefully manages academic provision, admissions and class numbers to make this a reality.
In January 2020, we will open secondary classes for Y7-10, using the IB MYP.
A team of around 20 expatriates is being recruited to work alongside host-country nationals in 2019-20.
Teach in Uzbekistan for the opportunity to live at the intersection of East and West and explore this incredible and often undiscovered Central Asian treasure.