Primary Class Teacher
- Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle School
- Licensed Teacher, College/University Faculty, University Graduate
- 2 years of teaching experience
Galaxy International School Uganda is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. It is mandatory that before employment, a comprehensive background check is carried out. This will include; professional and character reference checks as well as recent criminal background checks
Health insurance for employee
School makes a monthly payment for a staff of 15% of the gross monthly salary towards a consolidated National Social Security Fund(NSSF). Benefit available to a staff after the end of employment in Uganda as per NSSF Guidelines.
USD 100 salary increase for every contract renewal
Scholarship on tuition for children of staff.
Primary Class Teacher
Highly experienced and talented teacher needed to be a Class Teacher in Primary Section teaching English, Mathematics, Science, Global Perspectives, Humanities, and Personal Social Health Education which will be a maximum of 24 teaching periods per week.
Reports to Head of Department/Section Head
The class teacher has a critical role to play in the development of the cognitive, motor, psychomotor and affective domains of a child as well as the development of the school. He/she is always in daily contact with the students in the class and plays a denominator part in fostering and bolstering positive approaches to work, the school, and the community as a whole. The role of the class teacher is instrumental in setting the momentum for the day ahead and ensuring a serene, focused, disciplined and harmonious approach.
The class teacher roles are:
- Correctly mark student attendance registers daily.
- Record absence and collect absence letters from students.
- Monitor students’ attendance records to curb truancy and tardiness.
- Ensure that students are seated during registration.
- Alert other teachers and administration on individual student lateness and patterns of absence.
- Seek audience with parents to discuss matters of attendance and academic progress.
- Organize the class notice boards, record merit slips, collect reply slips, and complete records of achievement.
- Ensure maintenance of a tidy and stimulating environment with a focus on the care of personal and school property within the classroom and school.
- Organize election of form monitors.
- Provide information to colleagues, parents, and management about issues affecting students.
- Attend annual team meetings.
Links to Learning
- Assess student progress through students, parents, various meetings, and reports.
- Accompany students to assembly and ensure that they enter quietly and orderly.
- Encourage positive communication between home and school, whilst liaising with the school coordinator.
- Play an important role in clarifying to students the consequences of infringing the rules and regulations.
- Check personal effects such as uniform, essential equipment, topic outlines, revision topics, examination timetable, and other materials, their use, and condition.
- Make a professional observation of students’ behavior, appearance, friendships, or any significant changes that are likely to require action or intervention.
- Help form members develop a behavior contract with a focus on specific behavioral problems and benefits for achieving the student goals.
- Promote and safeguard the welfare of the students that fall under his/her responsibility.
- Extend formal and informal counseling to students and induct new students.
- Maintain and uphold school standards of punctuality, correct uniform, and appropriate dress.
- Encourage the development of ideas and opinions in ways to encourage student participation in community work.
- Perform such other duties that the school coordinator and principal may from time to time assign him/her.
Welcome to Galaxy International School Uganda
Galaxy International School Uganda (GISU) provides international education to students between 2 and 19 years of age. From Early Years to Year 13 students are taught using student-centred methods. Emphasis is on the development of the whole person. Students in Year10 and 11 are prepared for the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) examinations and those in Year 12 and 13 are prepared for Cambridge AS/A Level examinations. Alongside Cambridge Curriculum, we support Early Years with International Early Years Curriculum (IEYC), Primary with International Primary Curriculum (IPC) and Singapore Mathematics.
These examinations administered by Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) are recognised worldwide. The school is privately owned with a Board of Governors and the day to day running of the school is managed by the Principal. The school is staffed with qualified and experienced staff from UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Europe and East Africa.
Galaxy International School Uganda is accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and is a Full Member School of the Association of International Schools in Africa (AISA).
“To be the best educational institution for producing creative, self-reliant, respectful and moral individuals who will build a better world for us all”.
“To offer a contemporary approach to academic and holistic education, supported by modern technology in an environment conducive to learning.”
Uganda, commonly referred to as the “Pearl of Africa” is not only a true cultural melting pot in Africa. It also offers fantastic career opportunities for both licensed and ESL teachers at the country’s many international, language and public schools.