- Middle School, High School
- Licensed Teacher
- 1 year of teaching experience
- University Degree in Art or a related subject.
- Experience teaching middle and high school students
- Genuine enjoyment of working with students and the ability to enable a wide range of students to reach their creative and academic potential.
- Ability to plan strategically, to set and meet deadlines and to implement plans
- Capable of developing new educational programmes
- Excellent interpersonal, team leadership and membership skills
- Able to communicate well with students, staff and parents and gain their confidence and respect
- A commitment to Professional Development
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Experience teaching IB MYP, Cambridge IGCSE and IB Diploma
- Additional language skills
- Prior teaching experience in an international environment
Include in your application:
- a brief cover letter summarizing your suitability for the post and the reason for applying;
- your CV;
- a list of three referees with contact details.
Deadline for Applications Interviews and appointment will be arranged as soon as appropriate applications are received. Early application is advised.
Salary and benefits are internationally competitive.
Bishkek International School is a non-profit community school providing excellent international education in a safe, supportive and friendly environment. The school opened in September 2011 and now has 360 students from age 2 to 18. Fifty-five percent of our students are American, Asian and European citizens, children of employees of embassies, international organizations and international business or NGOs. Forty five percent of students are Kyrgyz citizens. The school welcomes all students regardless of ability, gender, ethnicity, language, or religious belief and everyone is encouraged to take part in all school activities. BIS is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) Commission on International Education. As an IB World School we offer the IB Diploma Programme, IB Middle Years Programme (MYP), and IB Primary Years Programme (PYP). We are also a Cambridge International School, with Cambridge Assessment International Education accreditation for the IGCSE programme.
- Plan, deliver, and assess art teaching in either the IB Diploma Programme (Grade 11/12), and/or Cambridge IGCSE (Grade 9/10), and/or IB Middle Years Programme (Grades 6/7/8), subject to student enrolment and teacher allocations.
- Align classroom learning and teaching to programme requirements.
- Create an engaging classroom environment that motivates students to learn and ensure all student expectations are high
- Provide a positive learning environment for each student and inspire students to expand their understanding and use of the subjects being taught.
- Differentiate instruction to meet the individual needs of each student to be socially and academically successful, having regard to the abilities and aptitudes of individuals.
- Enhance lessons through incorporating technology into the teaching program and be creative in working with limited resources.
- Use a wide range of assessment methods to ensure student knowledge and understanding are appropriately recorded.
- Provide individual tutoring for students who need support to progress in their course.
- Be an exemplary teacher, clearly demonstrating effective planning, teaching and organization, and high standards of achievement and behaviour in lessons Collaborate with other teachers to ensure a consistent approach to learning and achievement of standards for each group.
- Work with Programme Coordinators to produce relevant planning documents and attend relevant Programme meetings.
- Plan, keep and report appropriate records to school management and parents.
- Work with the Head of Visual Arts to plan, prepare and deliver art exhibitions and demonstrations, both from students and from recognised professional artists.
- Supervise Extended Essay Students for the IB Diploma, and/or Community Service projects for High School and Middle School students (as required, according to student needs and teacher allocations).
- Organise and lead extra-curricular activities and student engagement in issues related to arts or other areas of interest, to promote positive interactions among students of all ages and develop their academic, creative and sporting potential.
- Organise and lead relevant educational visits for Middle/High school students if required and agreed.
- Maintain knowledge of current educational theory and practice and undertake professional training in liaison with the Head of Department and Programme Coordinators.
- Act in accordance with the budgets, policies, procedures, directions and decisions of the school management
- Act as ambassador for the school and act in a manner that upholds the values and ethos of the school at all times Maintain high quality standards in all areas of the school
- Any other activities as agreed with management to contribute to overall development of the school.
- Report to the Head of the Visual Arts Department Work closely with the Programme Coordinators for PYP, MYP, IGCSE and DP, as appropriate.
Timing & Duration
The position is available starting 15 August 2022. This is a full-time long-term position with an initial contract of one, two or three years (subject to 3 months’ probation) which will be renewable by mutual consent.
We are a non-profit community school with 300 students from over 30 countries from age 2 to 18 years old. BIS is an IB World School, offering the IB Diploma Programme (DP) for students age 16–18, the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) for students age 11-13 and the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) for students age 3-10.
For students age 14-16 we provide the accredited Cambridge IGCSE programme as a sound basis to enter the IB Diploma Programme. BIS is also accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) Council for International Schools, providing international accreditation of our High School Diploma and by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Kyrgyz Republic, to provide national school completion certificates following state examination.
The country is very welcoming, with an open and democratic approach following independence in 1991. The capital, Bishkek, is home to one million people in the foothills of the Tian-Shan mountains where the low cost of living, cultural freedom and easy access to skiing and hiking make it one of the most attractive cities to live in Central Asia. While being within central Bishkek, the actual school location is in a quiet residential area.
Kyrgyzstan teaching opportunities for English speakers typically come as ESL instructor positions. Other teach abroad opportunities in Kyrgyzstan present themselves as international school positions.