- Licensed Teacher, University Graduate
- 2 years of teaching experience
- English and Education
- Teaching Credential/LicenseTESL/TEFL Certificate over 100 hoursTESL/TEFL CertificateTESL/TEFL Diploma Level
You must be a fully qualified teacher with:
- Bachelor in Education, Early Childhood Education, or a Bachelor’s Degree in a related subject with PGCE or other teacher qualification
- Have at least 2-year relevant teaching experience;
- Fluent English speaker;
- Ability to build strong relationships with students, parents, and colleagues
- Ability to assess student performance, write language plans and set appropriate goals for students to ensure progress
- Experience in the Canadian curriculum is desirable but not required.
- A commitment to an extensive enrichment program
- Recent and consistent involvement in extra-curricular activities
- Respect for all members of your school community
- Experience with students for whom English is an additional language
- A positive and solution-focused attitude to working life
- A clean enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services or Police check
What we offer:
- Renewable fixed-term contract and visa for 2 years
- Highly competitive tax-free salary
- Furnished accommodation or an accommodation allowance
- Comprehensive health insurance
- Annual flight allowance
- Fee discount for dependent children
We are looking to appoint a dynamic, ambitious Teacher of English Language Arts who can inspire and motivate our students and join us on our continuous journey towards excellence by raising standards, improving outcomes for all learners, and delivering the MCIS core purpose:
“To ensure: Students graduate as engaged thinkers and creative innovators with ethical, global perspectives, well prepared for the opportunities and challenges of our changing world.”
We are seeking a highly motivated Teacher of English Language Arts who will work within the Science Team in a department that is well-resourced and led by forward-thinking practitioners who are keen to ensure all students not only achieve well but develop an enjoyment from their learning.
Maplewood Canadian International School is a Canadian Curriculum school and has full accreditation from Alberta Education which is the highest performing province in Canada. Canada consistently ranks in the top two or three countries in the world on international standardized testing programs.
Students attending MCIS experience this high quality and receive an Alberta High School Diploma on graduation. This diploma is rated highly desirable in terms of accessing post-secondary institutions around the world. This is an exciting opportunity to join Maplewood International School to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading Canadian School.
The successful candidates will be closely aligned with our core values and essences and possess a genuine understanding and appreciation of the values of the region.
- Creating a climate for learning that is conducive to outstanding practice
- Identifying clear teaching and learning objectives
- Setting tasks that challenge students and ensure high levels of interest;
- Setting appropriate and demanding expectations;
- Setting clear targets, building on prior attainment;
- Identifying SEN or very able students and ensuring that their needs are met through differentiation;
- Providing clear structures for lessons maintaining pace, motivation, and challenge;
- Making effective use of assessment for learning;
- Making effective use of performance data and key indicators to inform planning and therefore deliver differentiated lessons
- Maintaining discipline by the school’s ‘Behaviour for Learning Policy’ and encouraging good practice about punctuality, behavior, standards of work, and homework;
- Using a variety of teaching strategies to:
- match approach to content, structure information, present a set of key ideas and use appropriate vocabulary
- use effective questioning, listen carefully to students, give attention to errors and misconceptions
- select appropriate learning resources and develop study skills through the library, I.C.T., and other learning technologies;
- Assess how well learning objectives have been achieved and use them to improve specific aspects of teaching;
- Mark student's work at least once every two weeks and set targets for progress;
- Using performance data to inform planning and therefore ensuring the Learning and Teaching continue to ‘add value’
- Assess and record students' progress systematically and keep records to check work is understood and completed, monitor strengths and areas for development, inform planning and recognize the level at which the student is achieving
- Assess students as requested by examination bodies, departmental and school procedures
- Prepare and present informative reports to parents
- Take part in subject development by producing, reviewing, and updating curriculum plans and schemes of work
- Keep subject knowledge up-to-date through CPD and professional reading
- Attend professional development workshops as appropriate
- Undertake additional duties as required by the Principal or Vice-Principal as appropriate.
- A cover letter and CV including details of two referees should be added as supporting documents on the Teachaway website.
- Please note that the school reserves the right to begin the recruitment process before the closing date. Therefore, candidates are recommended to submit their applications as soon as possible.
- Interviews will be conducted in Abu Dhabi or via GoogleMeets or Zoom.
- Start date for this position will be August 2022
- Closing date: July 2022
Due to the high volume of applications and robust selection process, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 10 business days.
MCIS is committed to safeguarding children and young people, and any offer of appointment will be subject to any relevant medical checks and clearance from appropriate safeguarding authorities.
MCIS is a Canadian curriculum school delivering a high-quality program to students from ages 4 to 19. The school has full accreditation from Alberta Education which is the highest-performing province in Canada. Canada consistently ranks in the top two to three countries in the world on international standardized testing programs.
At MCIS, we firmly believe that all students can learn and grow given the right environment and resources. We believe that it is our responsibility to create a safe and inclusive learning environment where students feel valued, respected, and supported.
We recognize that each student is unique and has different strengths and interests. Therefore, we strive to provide a holistic approach to education that addresses the physical, emotional, social, and academic needs of each student. We believe that by fostering critical thinking, creativity, and a love of learning, we can prepare our students to become responsible and contributing members of society who are equipped with the knowledge and skills to navigate an ever-changing world.