English Teacher (Key Stage 4 and 5)
- High School
- Licensed Teacher
- 2 years of teaching experience
- English Language and literature or related education majors
- Teaching Credential/License
- Knowledge of English Key Stage 4/5 and IGCSE and A Level English language teaching
- Be able to assess pupils’ interests, needs and developments
- Be able to develop curriculum
- Open, proactive, patient and caring
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- International and bilingual school working experience is preferred
- Cross-cultural working experience is preferred
The Wellington College overseas package include health insurance, provided by a reputable health care scheme, enabling the recipient and his/her dependants, if any, to take advantage of the good hospitals and medical facilities available in Tianjin, or if required Beijing. The overseas package also contains annual flights home for each member of staff and his or her dependants. Two school-age children of each overseas member of staff will be entitled to full remission of tuition fees at the College. There will be other benefits attached to the overseas contract, in line with other international schools in China. Once again further details of all benefits will be given to candidates invited for an interview.
Wellington College Hangzhou is committed to providing world-class educational opportunities in the city of Hangzhou. We seek to recruit and develop staff members who are fully engaged with the stated vision of the school – [to] “aspire to create a caring, international community that develops well-rounded individuals with strong values and the skills to thrive within an ever-changing global society” and who are guided in their professional and personal conduct by the core Wellington values – courage, respect, integrity, kindness and responsibility. In this way, the post holder should regard the following outline of the job description not as a checklist of things to achieve, but as a starting point for their growth in the role.
Huili School Hangzhou offers a world-class bilingual education for children aged from 2 to 18, which begins in Huili Nursery Hangzhou with the Early Years Foundation Stage supported by the Early Years statements taken from the Zhejiang Curriculum. In Primary School and Junior High we follow the Chinese National Curriculum (with reference to Zhejiang Province guidelines), which is complimented with a wide range of international teaching resources and materials. Pupils then study the IGCSE and either A-Levels or the IB Diploma Programme in our Senior High. Huili School Hangzhou uses the unique Wellington approach to holistic education coupled with the Huili Values and Identities to ensure our well-rounded pupils will be ready for acceptance into the best universities around the world, leaving Wellington College Hangzhou prepared with the 21st-century skills required for the future.
Our campus covers over 74,000 square meters and hosts a range of custom-built, state-of-the-art facilities that provide pupils with access to the very best academic and co-curricular opportunities.
Wellington College Hangzhou is seeking an experienced English Teacher (Key Stage 4 and 4). The KS4/5 English Teacher works in a Co-Teaching relationship with their international partner to provide education to the 6th form pupils based on the Wellington College philosophy and ethos. The teachers must support each individual pupil’s growth and development, encouraging them as Wellingtonians to be inspired, intellectual, independent, individual and inclusive. The teachers must demonstrate an understanding of the wider curriculum and administration needs of the school, and achieve high standards by responding professionally, sensitively and caringly to the needs of the pupils.
To assume responsibility for teaching KS4/5 and English, including IGCSE and A-Level, in the college, under the direction of the Head of English and Head of 6th Form and by following the Wellington College curriculum.
The successful candidate will play a key role in the development of the English IGCSE and A-Level curriculum at Wellington College Hangzhou. The College is looking for a candidate who would relish the challenge of establishing the subject in a new school. The English teacher will have the responsibility for the planning and teaching of the subject to the designated class, the content of each lesson being determined by the School curriculum. The teacher will ensure that the subject is delivered in a way that provides coverage, progression and continuity by effectively working with an international teaching partner. The teacher will also be required to carry out other such duties as the Headmasters of School may reasonably direct from time to time. He/she is expected to display the highest standards of professionalism in his/her teaching and in his/her relationships with colleagues and parents.
The teacher must ensure that an excellent learning environment is provided for the learning of English, and that the students develop a positive attitude to the subject within the College. The teacher must present lessons in a structured and coordinated manner with due regard to the ability of the students and the curriculum targets of the year group.
Teaching and Learning
- Contribute to the holistic well-being of all pupils and specifically to those assigned to your individual care.
- Make all students aware of the Wellington College Mission Statement, values and Identity base including the model of education, their values, aims, and display them in an innovative and informative fashion in the classroom and adjacent corridors
- Undertake class management as a class teacher.
- Complete teaching plans on time and to a high standard through collaboration with an international co-teacher.
- Teach English lessons independently.
- Participate in co-planning meetings with international and Chinese teachers. Contribute ideas during discussions.
- Assess regularly the students’ work by means of formative and formal termly/half termly assessments, as directed by the Head of Sixth Form. Communicate regarding any student whose progress or behaviour gives cause for concern.
- Monitor and evaluate constantly the effectiveness of your own teaching, maintaining good standards of practice and ensuring progression. Work collaboratively and effectively with an International teaching partner.
- Participate fully in the Staff Appraisal system, with classroom observation of colleagues and a willingness to be personally observed within the classroom. Submit books, records or planning as required for monitoring by colleagues.
- Be involved in developing, implementing and monitoring all College policies regarding English, and to assist in the necessary documentation pertaining to the subject, where required by the Head of Sixth Form.
- Assist with the resourcing of English and work with the Head of school in drawing up the annual order.
- Apply consistently and diligently the rules of the College in order to maintain discipline, standards of dress and to safeguard the happiness, safety and well-being of all students, to ensure that students know, understand and follow the College rules.
- Provide opportunities for the community to be involved in pupils’ and setting success.
- Make parents feel welcome and build good relationships with parents.
- Introduce information regarding the School English curriculum.
- Collect information of pupils’ interests and growth from parents.
- Stimulate pupils’ study by making use of parents’ strengths.
- Provide consultations and support to parents’ enquiries.
- Share students’ information provided by parents with co-teachers.
- Communicate with parents on a regular basis, as directed by the Headmasters of School.
- Attend Parents’ Meetings as required and provide accurate, honest information regarding the progress of individuals in English.
- Report to the parents in the form of regular written reports, and when additionally required by the Head of English and Head of 6th Form.
- Be positive and build good relationships with colleagues.
- Complete tasks assigned on time.
- Provide cover for absent colleagues as and when deemed necessary by The Head of Sixth Form.
- Play a full role in the weekly extra-curricular activities programme. The programme will take place outside of the prescribed teaching hours, as directed by the Head of Sixth Form.
- Make a significant contribution to College assemblies, and newsletters, and by so doing highlight the work carried out by students in the subject.
- Promote an ethos of equality and equal opportunities for all pupils within the setting.
- Protect privacy of pupils, pupils’ families and colleagues.
- Maintain the highest standards of care, child protection and safeguarding at all times
- Emphasize the importance of safety and of safe methods of working in the classroom, and indeed in all areas of the College and the curriculum. Communicate to the students that they must take a responsible attitude to equipment and materials, with which they have been provided, and that they will be punished and possibly charged for damage inflicted upon College property.
- Carry out duties in the college as required and timetabled by the Head of Sixth Form. This will include break supervision, lunchtime supervision and after-school supervision.
- Maintain, with the rest of the teaching staff, high standards of conduct both in and out of the classroom. Act always in a way that conforms to the College ethos and values, and is in the best interests of the students.
- Set high expectations and standards for the achievement of pupils and your personal performance.
- Contribute as fully as possible to the annual calendar of College events, in whatever way possible.
- Be familiar with the recent development of KS4/5 English language teaching theory and practice.
- Be familiar with the recent development of IGCSE First and Second language English teaching theory and practice, and A-Level.
- Improve yourself through continuous study and be willing to try new ideas.
- Be willing to accept others’ good ideas and share your opinions.
- Frequently reflect on your work and share your experience with the international teaching partner and other colleagues.
- Support the College Development Plan generally and insofar as it relates to English subject.
- Attend and participate fully in Wellington College Staff Development and INSET programmes.
- Attend staff meetings and briefings as and when required by the Head of English, and Head of 6th Form.
Wellington College China is a partner of Wellington College in England. It has five schools and two nurseries in China, all in exciting, international cities. Our schools provide an outstanding education for 2,150 local and international children aged between 2 and 18 years old.
Success in public examinations is important and we celebrate it. However, at Wellington College, excellent exam results and great university destinations, in the UK and worldwide, are only part of the picture. We want our pupils to be the very best people that they can be: to be kind, to have integrity in their actions, to take responsibility when necessary, to have respect for their environment, for others and themselves, and finally to show courage when needed. The Wellington values frame the way we think about what it is be a Wellingtonian, including the ways we work and what we hope to become.
Our Huili Schools combine Wellington’s holistic, British approach to educating the whole child, with the enduring strengths of the Chinese curriculum and focus on learning. We talk about giving our pupils the best of both worlds. Half our lessons are in English and half in Chinese. Half our teachers are English-speakers and half are Chinese. It is our desire to imbue every pupil with our five core values: courage, integrity, respect, kindness and responsibility. We encourage and expect our Chinese pupils to develop the Wellington identity: to be inspired, intellectual, independent, individual and inclusive.
Wellington College International Shanghai
Huili School Shanghai
Huili Nursery Shanghai
Wellington College International Hangzhou
Huili School Hangzhou
Huili Nursery Hangzhou
Wellington College International Tianjin