Head of Science Department / Science Teacher
- Licensed Teacher
- Teaching Credential/License
- Qualified Science Teacher or an experienced graduate with equivalent teaching qualification
- Successful experience as a science teacher in Middle and High School
- Knowledge and experience of the IB MYP and DP approach.
- Genuine enjoyment of working with students and ability to enable a wide range of students to reach their academic and creative potential
- Ability to plan strategically, set and meet deadlines, and implement plans
- Capable of developing new educational programs
- Excellent interpersonal, team leadership, and membership skills
- Able to communicate well with students, staff, and parents and gain their confidence and respect
- A commitment to Professional Development
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Knowledge and experience of the Cambridge IGCSE Coordinated Science course
- Additional language skills
- Prior teaching experience in an international environment
- a brief cover letter summarizing your suitability for the post and the reason for applying;
- your CV;
- a list of three referees with contact details.
Deadline for Applications
Interviews and appointments will be arranged as soon as appropriate applications are received. Early application is advised.
To be discussed after the interview.
Bishkek International School is a non-profit community school providing excellent international education in a safe, supportive and friendly environment. The school opened in September 2011 and now has 380 students from ages 2 to 18. Fifty percent of our students are American, Asian and European citizens, children of employees of embassies, international organizations, and international businesses or NGOs. Fifty percent of students are Kyrgyz citizens. The school welcomes all students regardless of ability, gender, ethnicity, language, or religious belief, and everyone is encouraged to take part in all school activities. BIS is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) Commission on International Education. As an IB World School, we offer the IB Diploma Programme, IB Middle Years Programme (MYP), and IB Primary
Years Programme (PYP). We are also a Cambridge International School, with Cambridge Assessment International Education accreditation for the IGCSE program.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Head of Science Department (6 TPE - Teaching Period Equivalent. Note that a full-time position = 30 TPE)
- Promote and develop science teaching in the school at all grade levels.
- Overseeing professional standards and behavior of departmental staff.
- Staff appraisal, mentoring, and support to teachers in the department.
- Ensure coherence of teaching approaches and curriculum used in the subject areas.
- Coordination, as required, between teachers in the department subject areas.
- Review of department resource needs and timely presentation of needs to the High School Principal.
- Carefully manage any delegated budget for the Department.
- Ensure the maintenance, safety and safe use of equipment used in the Department.
Middle/High School Teaching (subject and level to be decided upon appointment) (up to 22 TPE)
- Develop, deliver, and assess teaching in the IB Middle Years Programme and/or Cambridge IGCS Programme and/or IB Diploma Programme (as required, according to student needs and teacher allocations).
- Align classroom learning and teaching to program approaches and grade-level requirements.
- Create an engaging classroom environment that motivates students to learn and ensures all student expectations are high.
- Provide a positive learning environment for each student and inspire students to expand their understanding and enjoyment of the subjects taught.
- Differentiate instruction to meet the individual needs of each student to be socially and academically successful, having regard to the abilities and aptitudes of individuals.
- Enhance lessons by incorporating technology into the teaching program and be creative in working with limited resources.
- Use a wide range of assessment methods to ensure student knowledge and understanding are appropriately recorded.
- Provide individual tutoring for students who need support to progress in their course (as required, according to student needs and teacher allocations).
- Be an exemplary teacher, demonstrating effective planning, teaching, and organization, and high student achievement and behavior in lessons.
- Collaborate with other teachers to ensure a consistent approach to learning and achievement of standards for each group.
- Work with Programme Coordinators to produce relevant planning documents and attend relevant Programme meetings.
- Plan, keep, and report appropriate records to school management and parents.
- Supervise Extended Essay Students for the IB Diploma (as required, according to student needs and teacher allocations).
- Supervise relevant Community Service and CAS projects for High School students (as required, according to student needs and teacher allocations).
- Organise and lead extra-curricular activities and student engagement to promote positive interactions among students of all ages and develop their academic, creative and sporting potential.
- Maintain knowledge of current educational theory and practice and undertake professional training in liaison with the High School Principal.
- Act by the budgets, policies, procedures, directions and decisions of the school management
- Act as an ambassador for the school and act in a manner that upholds the values and ethos of the school at all times
- Maintain high-quality standards in all areas of the school
- Any other activities as agreed with management to contribute to the overall development of the school.
Report to the High School Principal
Timing & Duration
The position is available starting 14 August 2023. This is a full-time long-term position with an initial contract of two or three years (subject to 3 months probation) which will be renewable by mutual consent.
We are a non-profit community school with 300 students from over 30 countries from ages 2 to 18 years old. BIS is an IB World School, offering the IB Diploma Programme (DP) for students aged 16–18, the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) for students aged 11-13 and the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) for students aged 3-10.
For students aged 14-16 we provide the accredited Cambridge IGCSE program as a sound basis to enter the IB Diploma Programme. BIS is also accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) Council for International Schools, providing international accreditation of our High School Diploma, and by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Kyrgyz Republic, to provide national school completion certificates following state examination.
The country is very welcoming, with an open and democratic approach following independence in 1991. The capital, Bishkek, is home to one million people in the foothills of the Tian-Shan mountains where the low cost of living, cultural freedom, and easy access to skiing and hiking make it one of the most attractive cities to live in Central Asia. While being within central Bishkek, the actual school location is in a quiet residential area.