Primary Homeroom Teacher
- Early Childhood, Elementary
- Licensed Teacher
- Teaching Credential/License
- Qualified Primary Teacher or an experienced graduate with equivalent teaching qualification
- Successful experience as a primary teacher
- Genuine enjoyment of working with students and ability to enable a wide range of students to reach their academic and creative potential
- Ability to plan strategically, set and meet deadlines and implement plans
- Capable of developing new educational programs
- Excellent interpersonal, team leadership and membership skills
- Able to communicate well with students, staff, and parents and gain their confidence and respect
- A commitment to Professional Development
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Experience teaching the IB Primary Years Programme
- Additional language skills
- Prior teaching experience in an international environment
- a brief cover letter summarizing your suitability for the post and the reason for applying;
- your CV;
- a list of three referees with contact details.
Deadline for Applications
Interviews and appointments will be arranged as soon as appropriate applications are received. Early application is advised.
To be discussed after the interview.
Bishkek International School is a non-profit community school providing excellent international education in a safe, supportive and friendly environment. The school opened in September 2011 and now has 380 students from ages 2 to 18. Fifty percent of our students are American, Asian, and European citizens, children of employees of embassies, international organizations and international businesses or NGOs. Fifty percent of students are Kyrgyz citizens. The school welcomes all students regardless of ability, gender, ethnicity, language, or religious belief, and everyone is encouraged to take part in all school activities.
BIS is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) Commission on International Education. As an IB World School, we offer the IB Diploma Programme, IB Middle Years Programme (MYP), and IB Primary Years Programme (PYP). We are also a Cambridge International School, with Cambridge Assessment International Education accreditation for the IGCSE programme.
- Develop, deliver, and assess an education program based on the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP) for students in the assigned grade and class group.
- Align classroom learning and teaching to PYP approaches.
- Create an engaging classroom environment that motivates students to learn and ensure all student expectations are high.
- Provide a positive learning environment for each student and inspire students to expand their understanding and enjoyment of the subjects taught.
- Differentiate instruction to meet the individual needs of each student to be socially and academically successful, having regard to the abilities and aptitudes of individuals.
- Enhance lessons by incorporating technology into the teaching program and be creative in working with limited resources.
- Use a wide range of assessment methods to ensure student knowledge and understanding are appropriately recorded.
- Be an exemplary teacher, clearly demonstrating effective planning, teaching and organization, and high standards of achievement and behaviour in lessons.
- Collaborate with other teachers to ensure a consistent approach to learning and achievement of standards for each group.
- Work with the PYP Coordinator to produce relevant planning documents and attend relevant Programme meetings.
- Plan, keep, and report appropriate records to school management and parents.
- Organise and lead extra-curricular activities and student engagement to promote positive interactions among students of all ages and develop their academic, creative and sporting potential.
- Take an active role in school events and provide coaching or other support to school teams for sports, MUN, debates, etc.
- Maintain knowledge of current educational theory and practice and undertake professional training in liaison with the PYP Coordinator.
- Act by the budgets, policies, procedures, directions, and decisions of the school management
- Act as ambassador for the school and act in a manner that upholds the values and ethos of the school at all times
- Maintain high quality standards in all areas of the school
- Any other tasks as decided by management that contribute to the provision of quality education for students for the effective development of the School.
Report to the Primary School Principal.
The position is available starting 14 August 2023. This is a full-time long-term position with an initial contract of two or three years (subject to 3 months of probation) which will be renewable by mutual consent.
We are a non-profit community school with 300 students from over 30 countries from ages 2 to 18 years old. BIS is an IB World School, offering the IB Diploma Programme (DP) for students aged 16–18, the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) for students aged 11-13 and the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) for students aged 3-10.
For students aged 14-16 we provide the accredited Cambridge IGCSE program as a sound basis to enter the IB Diploma Programme. BIS is also accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) Council for International Schools, providing international accreditation of our High School Diploma, and by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Kyrgyz Republic, to provide national school completion certificates following state examination.
The country is very welcoming, with an open and democratic approach following independence in 1991. The capital, Bishkek, is home to one million people in the foothills of the Tian-Shan mountains where the low cost of living, cultural freedom, and easy access to skiing and hiking make it one of the most attractive cities to live in Central Asia. While being within central Bishkek, the actual school location is in a quiet residential area.