Principal (Special Needs Centre)
- All Levels
- University Graduate
- 2 years of teaching experience
Qualifications And Experience:
- A Master’s degree in education administration/ leadership or relevant management qualification in addition to a teacher’s certificate or diploma is essential
- This position requires eight (8) years’ experience in the education field with at least five (5) in an educational administration/ educational leadership level, to respond effectively to the challenges of the job.
Salary: $50,342.38 per annum plus allowances
For persons recruited outside of the Turks & Caicos Islands a two-year extendable contract is offered. Other benefits in addition to basic salary include a Housing Allowance, End-of-contract gratuity of 10%, return passes for a family of up to two children under the age of 18 years, freight cost, and duty exemption on personal effects imported within six months of the appointment.
Job Reference No: KGB3-23-16
Job Title: Principal (Special Needs Centre)
Ministry: Education, Youth, Sports and Social Services
Location: Providenciales (Majorie Basden High School)
This is a senior professional position that has responsibility for the administration of the daily operations of the primary school. The job holder is required to manage school operations, supervise staff and students, ensure the appropriate instruction and discipline of the student body, and manage the school’s finances and supply inventory.
Tasks And Responsibilities:
- Develop, motivate, and lead all staff to achieve the highest professional standards
- Liaise with the Heads of Department in the implementation of the curriculum
- Promote and seek to sustain parent and community interest in school activities
- Make necessary referrals where students may require professional counseling
- Maintain accurate records on school events and incidents that may occur at the school
- Build a collaborative learning culture within the school and actively engage with other secondary schools primary schools and other agencies to build effective learning communities
- Guided by the Ministry policies, articulate the goals and philosophy of the school
- Assist with the annual registration of pupils and assign pupils to classes based on age and cognitive ability
- Prepare the school’s budget and ensure compliance
- Liaise with Heads of Departments to ensure that staff are managed according to professional and Public Service standards
- Keep parents informed on disciplinary matters about their children
- Facilitate regular PTA meetings
- Establish a code of discipline for students and teachers
- Assist in the recruitment of teachers and make recommendations about the continuation of teachers’ service
- Manage school funds and keep an accurate account of income and expenditure
- Make recommendations regarding students’ promotion and graduation
- Assign duties and responsibilities to teaching staff
- Supervise the work committee and club leaders
- Support the implementation of sound procedures for the security, supervision, and maintenance of the school environment ensuring that all health and safety regulations are met
- Prepare and distribute teaching timetables for individual teachers
- Manage own personal professional development whilst ensuring the well-being of other members of staff
- Submit timely reports to the Department of Education through the school’s supervisor
- Ensure the school premises are fit for purpose for current and future needs including site development
- Perform other related tasks as required
Resumes with current contact information must be accompanied by a Cover Letter and two letters of reference (one preferably from a former employer) as well as copies of educational certificates, a copy of the Passport photo page, and a Police Certificate/Record.
Successful applicants will work by the Public Service Ordinance.
Current serving officers must apply through their Head of Department.
Applications without all supporting documents will not be processed.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only persons selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 22nd September 2023
The Department of Education, under the leadership of the Director of Education, is the unit directly responsible for the daily management of education (pre-primary, primary, and secondary) including the supervision of public and private schools, student and school registration, advising schools on administrative and education issues, and curriculum review and development, among other core functions.
The Director is supported by several Education Officers who assume responsibility for the different areas of education. A number of them are multi-functional as is often the case in small jurisdictions. The administrative, secretarial and clerical staff complement the team.
There are fourteen public schools in the Turks and Caicos Islands. Ten are primary schools and four are secondary schools. The primary program caters to the first eight years of a child’s school life. The secondary program caters to the last five years of the child’s compulsory school life.