Elementary School Principal - Yas American Academy
- Early Childhood, Elementary
- Licensed Teacher, Director/Principal
- 6 years of teaching experience
- Educational Leadership
- Teaching Credential/LicenseOther Certification
- Bachelor's Degree in Education or B. A science degree with a PGCE is essential. Desirable Master’s degree
- Minimum of 6 years of teaching experience and 2 years as a Senior Leader
- Line/Performance Management or Pastoral experience is required.
- Experience in leading whole school initiatives that have led to improvement in standards and achievement.
- Middle leadership experience is required.
Job-specific knowledge and skills:
- Very good/outstanding teacher
- Teaching across ability ranges with proven success
- Experience in leading whole school initiatives that have led to improvement in standards and achievement
- Middle leadership experience
- Senior leadership experience is desirable.
- Experience in line/performance management
- Experience working in more than one International School
- Leadership skills
- Inter-personal skills
- Annual Airfare
- Furnished Accommodation
- Family VISA
- Comprehensive family medical insurance
- Professional Development Opportunities
Aldar Academies is currently seeking an Elementary School Principal at Yas American Academy on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the highly successful Aldar family of schools and to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading school group. If you have a proven track record of leadership, demonstrating innovation, driving positive change, and delivering results, then this will be an excellent opportunity.
Yas American Academy opened in September 2016 providing high-quality education to the Emirate. The children are taught the Massachusetts Common Core Curriculum – tailored to be meaningful to children attending the school, alongside the local curriculum of Arabic, Islamic Studies, and Social Studies. Facilities at the school are excellent and include a large astroturf field, two swimming pools, a well-stocked library, a large multi-purpose sports hall, an auditorium, and outdoor play areas.
We provide a warm, friendly, and supportive environment where students enjoy learning and achieving in an atmosphere of mutual respect and trust.
The successful candidates will be closely aligned with our core values and ethos and possess a genuine understanding and appreciation of the values of the region.
- Strategic Direction and Development of the School
- Undertake the professional duties of the Elementary School Principal reasonably delegated to you by the Principal.
- Undertake the professional duties of the Principal, in the event of his/her absence from the school.
- In partnership with the Principal and the Senior Leadership Team, provide professional leadership and management of Teaching and Learning throughout the school.
- To provide professional leadership and management of School Development Plan priorities.
- Assist the Principal in the ongoing and annual review of standards of leadership, teaching, and learning in specific areas of responsibility and across all areas of school provision, consistent with the procedures in the school self-evaluation policy.
- Create costed subject development plans that contribute positively to the achievement of the School Development Plan and actively involve all staff in its design and execution.
- Develop and implement policies and practices for the subject/area(s) that reflect the school’s commitment to high achievement and are consistent with curriculum strategies and policies.
- Promote high expectations for attainment.
- Monitor the progress made in achieving subject/area plans and targets and evaluate the effect on teaching and learning.
Leading Teaching and Learning:
- Work with the Principal to raise the quality of teaching and learning and pupil achievement, setting high expectations and monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of learning outcomes.
Leading and Managing Staff:
- Work with the Principal to build a professional learning community that enables others to achieve.
- Be committed to and take responsibility for your professional development and undertake performance management, setting and agreeing targets linked to school development priorities with the Principal.
- Treat people fairly, equitably, and with dignity and respect to create and maintain a positive school culture.
Efficient and Effective Deployment of Staff and Resources:
- Work with the Principal to provide effective organization and management of the school and seek ways to improve organizational structures and functions based on rigorous self-evaluation.
- Work with the Principal to ensure the school and the people and resources within it are well organized and managed to provide an efficient, effective, and safe learning environment.
- Oversee and evaluate the subject/area budget allocation to ensure the budget is spent in line with subject/area learning priorities and best value principles.
- Work with the Principal to ensure the school’s accountability to a wide range of groups, particularly parents, ADEK, and Aldar Academies SLT.
- Develop a school ethos that enables everyone to work collaboratively, share knowledge and understanding, celebrate success, and accept responsibility for outcomes.
- Develop and present a coherent, understandable, and accurate account of the school’s performance to a range of audiences including parents and Aldar colleagues.
- Reflect on personal contribution to school achievements and take account of feedback from others.
- Agree, monitor, and evaluate pupil targets to ensure all students make sufficient progress.
- Engage all staff in the creation, consistent implementation, and Improvement of schemes of work and curriculum plans that encapsulate key school learning strategies.
- Undertake shared planning, and team teaching as required within allocated subject areas.
- Work with the Principal to engage with the internal and external school community to secure equity and entitlement.
- Work with the Principal to collaborate with other schools and Aldar Academies HQ to share expertise and bring positive benefits to their own and other schools.
- Work with the Principal to work collaboratively at both strategic and operational levels with parents and across multiple agencies for the well-being of all children
Specific Duties for Elementary School Principal:
- To provide professional leadership and management of key areas of the School Development Plan as agreed, on an annual basis, with the Principal.
- To be responsible for internal and external assessment practices across the school
- To provide professional leadership and management of the curriculum in the elementary phase of the school.
- To take an active role in the Senior Leadership Team, contributing to the development of identified areas leading to high standards of teaching, effective use of resources, and improved standards of learning and achievement for all students.
- To lead the Performance Management of a group of teachers.
This job description is not all-inclusive. Yas American Academy reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also mindful of our national development strategy and encourage UAE Nationals in their application at our company.
Yas American Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Offers of appointment are subject to satisfactory references and police clearance.
At Yas American Academy, which is located on Yas Island, we follow the prestigious American Massachusetts State Curriculum. We are proud to boast state-of-the-art facilities and a student-centered learning culture, enabling students to make phenomenal progress through inquiry-based learning and project-based classrooms.
A globally recognized standard of excellence, NEASC Accreditation attests to a school’s high quality and integrity.
We believe that imagination, creativity, and big dreams can change our world! We are focused on improvement and solutions. We empower our staff and students to be innovative and unconstrained. We celebrate thinkers and doers.
Abu Dhabi is the capital city of UAE and is the second most populous city. Experienced educators or administrators seeking positions in the UAE can find great opportunities in Abu Dhabi.